Questions re fluorocarbon...

Started by Aiala, October 23, 2020, 02:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

Say what? Back-to-back Uni only 6%?? That's crazy...  :(

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

nelz

Quote from: Aiala on October 23, 2020, 05:55:31 PMSay what? Back-to-back Uni only 6%?? That's crazy...  :(

Uh... yeah, that sounds way too low, even at only 4 turns. Could be a typo maybe? Yet another strike against F$S, at my expense.  :(  Feeling embarrassed here for not paying closer attention.  :-[

Aiala

Quote from: nelz on October 23, 2020, 06:02:28 PM
Feeling embarrassed here for not paying closer attention.  :-[

Embarrassment? No way... it's the magazine, not you.  ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

conchydong

jurelometer

The stiffness and diameters of the lines makes a difference on which knots work better.  It might help to specify what you are tying.  Assume you are "splicing" medium stiffness mono to similar diameter slightly stiffer Fluoro leader?

Regarding glue in knots.   Most folks are using CA glues which don't adhere well, and loose stregth when exposed to water relatively quickly.  There are some specialized CA glues that do a bit better in water, but these are not used much for knots.  I think the good stuff might have to be kept refrigerated. Loc-tite has the most accessible product property sheets where you can look up various flavor of CA glues for strength over time when exposed to water, UV light, bond to different materials, etc. and decide for yourself.

Since the glues will not hold the knots together in any reliable way,  you are mostly relying on the chunks of glue residue to gum up the knot to help keep it from slipping. On the flip side, the glue can also get in the way of the wraps or bends cinching down.  I am not so enusthiastic about CA glue.

Ther are also knot coatings.  Usually UV cure.  These embed the entire knot in a glob of plastic (usually urethane) that tends to be more resilient than CA glues.  The coating also creates a smoother profile that helps the knots  pass through guides more easily.  The downside to coatings is that most are extremely hard, increasing the chance for the line to wear from hinging  at the edge of the coating.  This is a problem for braids and fly lines, I don't know about thicker mono or fluoro.

There are more elastic solvent based  glues/coatings that I will use, but mostly for protecting servings made of nylon thread or fine mono. I like Pliobond a lot, but it is a very visible brown.  Aquaseal is clear and seems to work as well. I am a bit worried that the solvents in these glues will damage the lines, but since they don't penetrate under the servings much, I am getting away with it so far.  These products are commonly used by the fly fishing crowd to serve loops on PVC coated fly lines and braided mono.

Regarding URL safety.  You can always paste a URL into a safety check from a reputable provider such as Google or Norton and get a safety report.

google's  is here https://transparencyreport.google.com/safe-browsing/search

For example:

https://transparencyreport.google.com/safe-browsing/search?url=HTTPS:%2F%2Fwww.fieldandstream.com&hl=en

Might want to check for a typo in the link.  
-J

nelz

Quote from: jurelometer on October 23, 2020, 07:34:35 PMRegarding URL safety.  You can always paste a URL into a safety check from a reputable provider such as Google or Norton and get a safety report.

Hey Jure, as I'm sure you've already tried yourself, the Google Transparency Report produces "No unsafe content found" for the F&S link. I know I didn't mistype it in my original post because I copied and pasted the link while I was in it. I'm guessing that whatever anti-virus Aiala is using, it is tagging one of the domains belonging to the numerous ads' and trackers on that page as dangerous. Regardless of the Google result, I won't be using that site.

And btw, it was a Google search for "blood knot" that produced the link that started this whole fiasco! The blood knot works great for me so I got curious when I saw that it is "frowned upon", hence the search. Gotta love the Internet, eh?  ::)