Salvatore D. Ciarlante

Started by alantani, October 14, 2020, 03:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

It is kind of funny...but when I do a posting nowadays — I somehow still expect to get a response from Sal.

Then I realize that I won't be getting a response online or by phone — but the good feeling of Sal's response is always there — and always will be.

That seems like the true measure of a great man and a good friend...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

broadway

I'm with ya, Fred! Miss Sal's response, whether funny, knowledgeable, or just patting someone on the back.
A good man indeed.
Best,
Dom

Tiddlerbasher

Benni3

Maxed Out

Yep, got a warm and fuzzy feeling seeing Sal on Cortez Conversions home page. Thank you Tom

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Penn Chronology

A person like Sal has staying power. The value he brought to this page was priceless. His spirit will always be here.

Cathy Ciarlante

Hello,

Please forgive me, this is my real first time of being on the website (for longer than one minute as I just break out in tears every time I try) and so I am not quite sure where to post this message so I suppose that I will post it on every page that is listed under the In Memory of Sal Ciarlante. That is the only way that I know that I will reach everyone who commented, left lovely messages of condolence, or wished my family comfort, in any way.

I cannot express how much the love and support, that my family received from AlanTani.com, has meant to us! There really are no words to express my deep, deep appreciation and very sincere gratitude for your continued support! This past month has been just so devastating and painful for me, Alyssa and Anthony and grieving in the time of a global pandemic has just made it even more difficult. It is still very surreal and I wake each day thinking perhaps it was just a bad dream. I must admit that I have not yet found the courage to be in Sal's work area (where he did all of his custom reel work and repairs) for even a whole minute, yet. On the one time I walked back there, I saw that he still had a small paintbrush in some sort of gel and his tools were spread out all over...it must have been what he was working on the day we left for the hospital, so long ago. I walked back there, and I could just see him sitting on that chair, with a beautiful smile on his face, doing what gave him such satisfaction and joy! It was all I could take, but I am working up the courage to go back there again, some day soon. The kids and I do spend time in Sal's mancave, each night, and it's comforting to be surrounded by his things.

I would have liked very much to have the celebration of Sal's life, that I believe he deserved, but I felt very strongly that we needed to respect the pandemic and do everything in our power to keep our family, friends and loved ones safe! As you read in his obituary, we are planning a post-Covid 19, late-springtime memorial service, God willing. I will be sure to post all of the details, at that time! We had an immediate family funeral and laid Sal's remain to rest on a stormy Friday (October 16) and I felt as though the heavens were crying for my Sal. As I told you all before, not only did the Alan Tani family get mentioned in Sal's obituary, but Alyssa (our daughter) mentioned it in his Eulogy, as well.

I am so sorry that this first post of mine was so long but I just wanted to be sure to express my gratitude and to let you all know how important you are to me and the kids!

I wish you, and your families, a blessed Thanksgiving holiday!

All my very best,
Cathy Ciarlante & Family

Ron Jones

Nothing is to long for the Ohana, Cathy.
Please come and visit anytime and let us know if there is anything we can do.
Ronald Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Cathy, check this world map.  Those red dots are showing the areas of the world and members who knew and miss Sal as much as we on the site that have posted.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mhc

Quote from: Dominick on November 24, 2020, 01:36:54 AM
Cathy, check this world map.  Those red dots are showing the areas of the world and members who knew and miss Sal as much as we on the site that have posted.  Dominick

Hello Cathy, Alyssa and Anthony.

Thank you for keeping us in touch with Sal's world. Dominick is correct, Sal is and will be missed by members around the globe - I'm the seventh red dot down on the east coast of Australia :) and think of him every day. Distance wasn't a barrier to Sal reaching out to connect with people and develop friendships around the world and distance won't lessen our gratitude for having known him. All of us were influenced by Sal in some way and more than a few of us were inspired to take up tools to explore different ways to improve our reels. Sometimes our experiments didn't go to plan but Sal was always the first to point out the positive aspects and encourage us to 'keep the flame burning'.

All the best,
Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Makule

Sal's passing constitutes the loss of a cornerstone of this group.  It is unreasonable to believe that anyone will be able to fill his shoes, as contributed so much to the knowledge base and expanded the technology of the Penn Senator.  It would be fitting for Penn to come out with a Sal special that incorporated all of his ingenious modifications to an already good reel.  He took good and made it great.
In addition, he befriended many and was  very generous not only with his knowledge but also with parts and reels.  To say that he was a rare and gifted individual is a monumental understatement.
While he will be missed, he lives on in the advances/modifications he brought to reel technology.  Every time someone says, "tank", that's Sal.  Every time you think about adding more drag disks, that's Sal.  Double dog, Sal.  The list goes on.
To Sal's family and loved ones, my deepest condolences.  Our words are so limited as to not do justice to the man.  I do not wish for him to rest in peace.  Instead, I wish for him to be with Father and to continue fishing and working on reels and whatever else may catch his fancy.  May he truly be blessed.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Shark Hunter

Well Said Albert,
Sal taught me everything I know. He had the patience of a Saint. I miss him deeply, but We all must carry on in his Honor.
He was one of a kind and taught me a lot more in life than reels.
I am honored to have known the Man.
My Deepest Sympathy and Condolences To Cathy, Anthony and Alyssa.
Rest in Peace my Friend, I'll see you on the other side.
Life is Good!

Donnyboat

Gee Cathy, you do such a good job of placing words together, the same as SAL did with his stone mason work,fishing reels or just life in general, if I tried to add anything else, I wood only be repeating all the good words that everyone has already posted, Pat & I wish you and your family the very best of health and happiness in the future, thank you, Pat and Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Nasty Wendy

I haven't been on here is quite some time now and this news hit me like a ton of bricks.  I'll miss Sal as well.  May he rest in peace.
Hi I'm Clay.
Lets raise our children to be Super Fishermen not Superficial men and women.

The more I interact with people the more I like my dog.

Irish Jigger

Although I have not been active on the AT Site for some time Sal and I remained in contact exchanging Penn parts  and info over the years.
We exchanged Christmas Greetings  annually and when I did not hear from Sal this Christmas I checked the Site and was saddened to learn of his passing.
His kindness and generosity knew no bounds and he was always willing to help and advise those with their reel problems.
He shall be greatly missed on  this Site.

To his wife Cathy and family I send my heart felt condolences and give thanks that Sal was my friend.