Home made in Key West 10/0

Started by Reeltyme, October 17, 2020, 10:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reeltyme

Gents and Ladies,
I was recently approached by an acquaintance and asked if I might be interested in purchasing a reel from his neighbor. He said that his neighbor had purchased it in Key West many years ago. As the neighbor is in his late 80's, his memory of the exact circumstances of the reel purchase wasn't clear, just that he bought it in Key West. Well to say that I was immediately interested is an understatement! I made an offer after inspecting the reel and the owner gladly accepted. I began the usual tear down and was amazed at what I found. A very "simple" design that was quite functional. The gears are hand cut. The main drive gear is made out of thick fiber of some sort. There are double dogs for the anti-reverse with a brass hand cut lower gear. You can see in the photos that this gear first appears to be incorrectly cut with a large space at one point. Upon closer inspection, the space was actually intentionally made to accommodate removal of the gear from the handle shaft! Time and salt have not been kind to the aluminum spool and the 2 set screws that hold the main shaft to the spool refused days of soaking in every kind of lubrications at my disposal. I cleaned her the best I could with the spool attached to the shaft and plate. The drag is strictly metal on metal with the addition of the ball bearing assembly. She spins smooth and true and the drag does actually work! The seat is a whole different story. As can be seen, it is designed to clamp down on a rod butt section! All in all, a great, fun piece. Wish I had more information on the maker.

Sharkb8

Wow that's a beauty show us some more pictures when you get it back together

Kim

Robert Janssen

That is nice. You ought to have a word with Greene or Pritchard about it; they are both in that neck of the woods and might recognize it. Or just put it up on the ORCA board. I don't recognize it, but the fore and aft triangle cross bars sort of ring a faint bell somewhere. Cool find in any case.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Donnyboat

Very nice & very interesting, be good to get more info on it, yes love to see some pics, when its back together, thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

JasonGotaProblem

That's crazy/awesome.

Metal on metal drag though? How's that work? (Probably a noob question)
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

whalebreath

I saw a similar looking unit For Sale on the local Craigslist it was listed as a 'British Shark' reel; we have a lot of immigrants here in Vancouver who show up having hauled their now-useless tackle halfway across the planet and are just looking to dump it often it's Carp gear but you never know.

And No I didn't buy it.

JasonGotaProblem

A part of me thinks this started as a bet.
"Yeah well if you're so good why not make one from scratch then?"
2 weeks later...

You gotta figure there's no way this was easier than just buying one. Maybe not cheaper either.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

oc1

Wow, just wow.  Hand made, but maybe not a one-off?  Do you think?  Please let us know what they say at ORCA.

The end of that spool shaft is really weird.  Like it was cut through a spot that had been built up with weld.

What does the inside of the head plate look like.  Is it brazed together?

Can you tell if the spool arbor is aluminum or steel?

That was a real labor of love.

-steve

Reeltyme

Quote from: Robert Janssen on October 18, 2020, 12:08:23 AM
That is nice. You ought to have a word with Greene or Pritchard about it; they are both in that neck of the woods and might recognize it. Or just put it up on the ORCA board. I don't recognize it, but the fore and aft triangle cross bars sort of ring a faint bell somewhere. Cool find in any case.

Thanks for the response Robert. Not sure about Greene but Pritchard seems to be busy with things. As for ORCA, not a member. I just thought everyone here might enjoy a break from reality for a few minutes. Between all the repetitive junk on tv, a refreshing look at this oddity is just what the doctor ordered! I would like to talk to Butch in K.W. about this reel.

Reeltyme

Quote from: oc1 on October 18, 2020, 05:14:40 AM
Wow, just wow.  Hand made, but maybe not a one-off?  Do you think?  Please let us know what they say at ORCA.

The end of that spool shaft is really weird.  Like it was cut through a spot that had been built up with weld.

What does the inside of the head plate look like.  Is it brazed together?

Can you tell if the spool arbor is aluminum or steel?

That was a real labor of love.

-steve

Steve, the arbor is steel I believe and the inside of the plates are very smooth, almost as if it were turned from one piece of aluminum, though I find it hard to believe it. I have to think that this was done in a small hometown garage or shop. The end of the shaft is very rough. It was definitely cut and ground down. I actually hadn't given much thought to it being "built up" before being made. Quite possible?

Swami805

That's a labor of love right there.  How do you let line out? Back off the drag?
Thanks for showing us
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Cuttyhunker

Good score old man,I'll stop by in a few days to let you know everything you're doing wrong!!
Doomed from childhood

Reeltyme

Quote from: Swami805 on October 18, 2020, 12:55:23 PM
That's a labor of love right there.  How do you let line out? Back off the drag?
Thanks for showing us

Actually yes. Back off the drag and out goes the line! Simple but effective.

Cutty, can't wait for your words of wisdom! Bring goodies!

Cuttyhunker

I've stopped by Randy's and fondled this beast, it is I am sure, a one of a kind machine beautiful, in it's rough edges and engineered well enough to that it's still ready to go fishing today.  Unscrewing the star to free spool is just a lever drag that goes in circles to get the job done.  I still have an old Kencor 940 drum from dad that a charter party busted the eccentric lever off and I used to troll with it using the "spinning star lever" technique.  I've since inherited the other 3 940's that I still fish and the old busted one has become the parts hog to keep the other 3 going.  I'm a little surprised thinking about it now that there were no mass produced spinning star free spool reels offered back in the day eliminating the entire eccentric lever free spool mechanism.
Doomed from childhood