Old Black 4/0

Started by foakes, October 19, 2020, 06:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Today is a busy day — Monday morning — and a filled up week.

But got up at 4:00 — after a little personal time and reading, knocked out a couple of reels for clients before starting the days projects.

This was an old soldier — black 4/0 with original drags that were fused into one solid stack.  Considerable rust and crud inside.  Crank would not turn.  Rough reel.  Thought it might be uselessly seized up.

After disassembly, cleaning, removing rust and debris, old grease and crud, burnishing and polishing the internals — added a couple of old used Newell bars out of the parts bin, two new inner rings, a new clamp, and one of Bryan's 5 stack complete ultimate upgrades with a new under gear washer — replaced the spacer for better drag adjustment — Cal's, Marine grease, and salt ready prep — it is ready to fish.  About 35 seconds of freespool with the solid one piece spool and no line.

Yes, there is much more that could be done to these in the way of upgrades — but for many folks, there is a budget constraint.  So I try to keep the cost down.  This reel will fish another 40 years now.

I enjoy the look on a clients face when they see the before and after results —

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

C'mon my man, let's see the after! :)

The pedantic 113 doesn't get a lot of play, unless someone builds out a grouper special- but has hauled more party boat bottom fish than likely all others combined, and certainly if you lump a Long Beach 66 as a two-ring 113. They certainly have their place- my first Senator, as Fred noted, to be budget conscious while letting me trolley rig from the pier or take my own gear on the Continental Shelf out of Morehead.

wfjord

Looks like a brand new reel now, Fred, except much better.

mo65

Nice work Fred...she looks like a new one. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

That looks super ! Good save !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Brewcrafter

Fred - You are 100% Craftsman, 100% Artist, and I have to think there is a certain percentage of Magician in there as well. - john

Dominick

Love the magician part.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

Fred, amigo mio.

how did you polished those internal parts?

I need to try that, normally I only polish a part just in the zone when I think it needed for a smoother operation, but all those polished part will assure a great complete smoother reel for many years more.
The Baja Guy

foakes

The quick way that works best for me —

A bench mounted fine steel wheel on a variable speed grinder — after lacquer thinner and an ultrasonic bath,rinsing and drying.

Just to the right of my stool are 3 grinders with 6 different wheels.  A pair of safety glasses.  Quick and efficient.

I do the Jack, yoke, dog, eccentric, pinion & main, bridge, and if using the old metal drag discs — those also.  Then the drags are flat-lapped with wet fine emory paper on 1/4" glass.  Any other rusted parts get the same treatment.

I generally just replace the metal drag discs with SS though.  Quicker, easier, and better for the reel in the long run.

Here are 2 years of old brass Penn drag discs.  Still good — just need cleaning as described.  Around 7-8 pounds.

Everything I use is within easy reach.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.