Reel Down Surf Rods

Started by Jeri, October 20, 2020, 09:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeri

One thing that reel down builds on surf rods allow me to do without compromising the rod action, is to use radical measurements to the first guide. Just built a prototype 13', 4oz rod and the first guide was 74" above the low reel seat. Casts like a dream, with absolutely no hint of line wraps or line slap, even though the first guide was just size 16, good distances as well on the test field(desert), about 140 metres with just a sinker.`

A lot also depends on the action/build of the blank, where US surf blanks are more full through action, blanks down here are less through action, more in line with what the Europeans call 'J curve', rather than 'C curve'. Perhaps. the blank build design it is derived from the market in the US looking for rods to be used more with artificials, rather than bait? That said, we have designed and built rods on the same 'J curve' style that have done exceptionally well with anglers that do focus on surf spinning with artificials; and taken the same reel down spinning rods into the land based river anglers targeting Tigerfish, with equal success - both situations where distance is a premium quality.

JasonGotaProblem

I tried my bionic finger sunday. Unsuccessfully. Turns out it needs to be close enough to the reel to achieve a certain angle on the line coming off the reel, like below the rim of the spool, or line just flows freely. And setting it above the handle is just too far apparently. Good thing round 1 was with zip ties. I may need to do some modifications to my surf rod grip to run this. I'll likely have to give it a lot more thought before I pick up the razor.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Tiddlerbasher

Where you place it is where you would place your finger to hold the line prior to casting - pretty self evident ::)

oc1

Wear a deer skin glove..... unless you can modify an archery finger tab.
-s

Jeri

With 'Bionic Fingers' on surf rods, we build the rods with the reel seat - threads down, so the upper hood is then the start of the 'Bionic Finger'. If you have a reel seat that is the 'wrong way round', then you will be consigned to mounting the release on the thread, and never have a permanent fixture - zip ties forever ....... ;)

Even on rods where the EVA handle is close to the 'right way round' reel seat, the "bionic Finger' can be mounted on the EVA, just clearances might be tight.

Preserver with the release clip, as they allow you to put so much more power into the cast, without a hint of pain to the finger.