Lack of drag in a Trinidad 14A - Any ideas?

Started by Jon_Kol, October 25, 2020, 02:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon_Kol

Hi everyone!

I'm doing a reel service for a friend, on a Trinidad 14A. He bought the reel new from a store here in Norway, but was really dissapointed when he used it for Halibut fishing, and found that there was hardly any drag - even with the star drag turned all the way down.

He asked if I could install some Carbontex washers for him, which I did, but the lack of drag is the same.

We measured the amount of drag, with the star all maxed out, and it's a mere 8,8lbs.

I searched the forum, and found several posts regarding a few simular problems, including one with the Belleville washers being «flat». They are «flat» in this reel as well. Not sure if that is what's causing the issue, but something's not right.

I can mention that the braid is secured with mono to the spool, there is no slipping, and it seems to be in fine working order - apart for the lack of drag.

The reel foot has a production code of JJ, which should place the reel between 2002-2015, I think.

Any ideas? Thanks for reading!

-Jon-

Any ideas?

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jon_Kol

I've looked it over again and again, I can't find anything wrong with it.

Quote from: Keta on October 25, 2020, 04:05:11 PM
Is the drag stack out of order?

sabaman1

Even with mono backing its possible the line is slipping on spool. If you have a spare empty spool to transfer the line to then you could try to rewind the line on spool with some finger tape or electrical tape on the spool first then tie on line with a san diego knot pulled tight and leave a little tag end to grab the spool where you will wind over the line to hold in place tightly. Is it possible to post a picture of your drag stack?
JIM

thrasher

I believe bellevilles should be cone shaped but not flat.

oc1

Does the star bottom out against the side plate so it is impossible to tighten it further?  If so, increase the height of the drag stack.
-steve

Hamachi

Assuming you have schematics, there's not really much that can go wrong if all the parts are in order. Make sure the drive shaft retainer is in place and screws aren't stripped. Next suspect is the weak link, the roller clutch inner tube, check that the legs aren't broken off that drop into the top drag washer. Sometimes a part flipped over in the wrong orientation will cause problems. Usually they're all orientated the same way.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

thrasher

I'm thinking like Hamachi on a wrongly flipped part. Check part TGT0092 and TGT0358 aren't stacked into each other. They should create a washer spring, like a Hi Hat on a drum kit. If both those parts are indeed flat, you will need to add to the stack like OC1 said or replace

JRD

Quote from: Jon_Kol on October 25, 2020, 02:25:30 PM

I searched the forum, and found several posts regarding a few simular problems, including one with the Belleville washers being «flat». They are «flat» in this reel as well. Not sure if that is what's causing the issue, but something's not right.

The drag was probably left buttoned down and flattened the bellvilles.  If there is no curve to them they are acting just as spacers and it's likely your bottoming out the star on the side plate.  Also check to make sure you have the half brass, half fiber washer just under the star.

Finally if the star is not clicking that means assembly was incorrect and your little spring loaded nib is keeping the star from tightening the stack.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

Another likely problem if the braid is not slipping. The drag star pushes against the bellvilles and the clutch inner tube. Once the inner tube is pushed in all the way that's all it's got. Under the bearing should be at least one bearing thrust washer.

You can add the thrust washers which will make the inner tube longer. This will make sure that you get full drag even if the bellville's are somewhat flattened.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL