Learning the same *cheap* hook lesson all over again.

Started by the rockfish ninja, October 22, 2020, 06:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

We've all done it  ...... I think, or is it just me.  :-\

You go for years buying expensive hooks cause you learned the hard way that cheap hooks just don't perform. Spend the $$ for Owners & Gomakatsu knowing that when it matters you don't want your rigs to fail.

But then there's that day, when you need some 3/0's to cast into the surf, you don't have enough to put together a decent online order to get free shipping, and you're at a local shop that has some cheapo octopus hooks that look pretty much like quality stuff .... so ...

Then you go out to the coast, with your best baits, get bit, and ...... you start losing them. Lost at least 3 quality size fish (from the bend in my rod) all to bent hooks. One I know was a Lingcod, the others weighty mysteries that never made it close to shore, not snapped line or leaders, just hooks shaped like an "L" instead of a "J" when brought in.

Just one of those "I knew better" palm smack to the forehead things.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Gobi King

Lol, I spent hundreds buying egg sucking leech and stone flies made with cheapo hooks only to loose every salmon,

I use a gamma 2x glo, now I even have hair regrow on my head.

Question - What are other SHARP hooks options other than Owners and Gamma?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

MarkT

My cheap hooks are Mustad 94151's. I've never had an issue with them.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

bill19803

i  second  marks  recommendation.  94151 9/0  landed  7  ft  big  eye on  them   no problems

philaroman

Quote from: Gobi King on October 22, 2020, 06:50:36 PM
Lol, I spent hundreds buying egg sucking leech and stone flies made with cheapo hooks only to loose every salmon,

I use a gamma 2x glo, now I even have hair regrow on my head.

many Japan-made: TIEMCO, Daiichi, Kamasan, Hayabusa...   

Norwegian Mustad (had some Mustad crap not specifically labeled "Made in Norway")

English Partridge (had some Partridge crap not specifically labeled "Made in Redditch")

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Gobi King on October 22, 2020, 06:50:36 PM

Like others mentioned, Mustad is quality stuff, they have bulk pkgs at the wharf store but that's more than I want to buy at one time. Trokar, which is essentially "best" quality Eagleclaw brand is pretty good too, pricy though.

Brewcrafter

Just asking, when you have had hook failures was it a "new" hook, or one that may have been in use for awhile?  Reason being while when we catch a fish all of us are really good about cutting off the worn section of line and retying - are we using the same hook?  The one that we just used diagonals to twist out of the previous fish?  I suspect that even slight imperfections in the coating of the outer surface of a hook may degrade their strength? - john

philaroman

that's why I penny-pinch & bargain-hunt & try to average paying <1/3 retail for TOP-QUALITY

...not so much to save money, as to motivate myself to replace hooks 3X as often

also, this miserly approach allows me a bigger max. "abandon size" for my

"gotta' try to re-sharpen, even though it's high-carbon" fantasies

bigger sizes are easier & safer to play with, before I throw them away, anyway

Cor

I use a lot of tackle and have to be careful what I spend.
I do sharpen my treble hooks on my lures and have never really noticed any negative effect.

What I also usually do is to flatten the barbs (because I tag a lot of fish) and that does tend to lose fish, but not as much as some may think.

About 8 years ago I purchased 900 small 1.0 hooks in China, they are now nearly finished but at about $25 for the lot they were an excellent buy.    I wish I had purchased more!

You don't always need to buy the best available, but the right product for your needs!
Cornelis

oc1

I only use 1/0 hooks and fish over snaggy bottom.  Many were tried including Gamakatsu octopus hooks.  They would usually straighten out on a snag within an hour.  Finally went to Gamakatsu hardened live bait hooks.  The snags might ware the tip down to to a nub but I can't bend or brake them.  Really difficult to sharpen without a brand new diamond file though.  
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

For large hooks for catfish I only use heavy wire Owner, in various sizes. Never busted or straightened one. I bought in bulk packs years ago. It cost a bit but many are still with me. To sharpen these large hooks I use an engineers clamp (to hold them) and a Worksharp Knife sharpener with an A6 Trizact belt fitted, quick and easy. For small hooks (<2) I use Owner and Gamakatsu (make sure they are branded, there is a lot of crap out there). I just bin them when they are done. Bulk packs are cheap enough if you think of them as an investment.

Keta

Add VMC to the good hook list.

I use Gamagatsu, Owner and Mustad hooks 99% of the time.  Even the "cheep" Mustad bronze hooks hold up.  On the last 8 day I used Mustad Hoodlum "J" hooks most of the time but when we got into the crazy bite on dorado and small YFT I should have used the cheeper bronze Mustad hooks.

Jerry Brown gave me some large Roddy Hays hooks but they will never get wet, I want to frame them.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Brewcrafter on October 23, 2020, 03:34:07 AM
Just asking, when you have had hook failures was it a "new" hook, or one that may have been in use for awhile?  Reason being while when we catch a fish all of us are really good about cutting off the worn section of line and retying - are we using the same hook?  The one that we just used diagonals to twist out of the previous fish?  I suspect that even slight imperfections in the coating of the outer surface of a hook may degrade their strength? - john

I'm casting from shore into the rocks, I go out with at least 6-7 rigs & sinkers, never have to consider sharpening old hooks cause they don't last that long. I normally lose 2-3 rigs per surf casting session although I sometimes get away with not losing any, like the last trip.

Also, when I retrieve I lift my tip to 12 o'clock & crank fast so I'm not dragging it over the rocks to avoid snags, and I rig my bait so that tip is buried, so never have problems with dull or degraded hooks.

I just gotta stay away from the bargain bin stuff.

Jeri

Considering all the money we spend on fishing, it just seems a false economy to short buy hooks, as potentially they are the most important aspect of our whole kit, especially the last 2-3mm that engage with the fish.

Have had great success with a design of catfish hooks for sea fishing, infinitely sharp because they are chemically sharpened, and forged in the bend to give serious strength. They might be slightly more expensive than some on offer, but I never lose fish to hook failure. Its just a sense of rating your priorities in the right order.

Maxed Out

What hooks are you looking for ??

I have a 50 year old box of mustad & son 3/0 beak hooks, hollow point. I believe there is 100 in the box. No charge if you could use them

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!