Aww, Maaaannn!

Started by Gfish, October 24, 2020, 06:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

My beloved Jigmaster Magnum. Oh the pain...

Don't know what happened. Perhaps the last time I opened her up, I torqued the click tounge( in the "on" position) down on top of the click gear, while reassembling the tail-plate to the frame.

Maybe ya'll can see the 2 spot welds are cracking in the 2nd-2 photos.

What to do? This spool is the specialized Accurate Jigmaster 500 size, with the 113H sized spool shaft. Hard to find and probably costly!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

If the shaft isn't bent you might be able to straighten out the gear on the shaft and get it heliarced across the crack.       Rudy

Tiddlerbasher

Assuming it's steel - straighten it up and solder it (use a high tin solder and acid flux, don't forget to clean it afterwards) - It isn't under a great deal of stress so the solder should be ok.

Keta

TIG welding (heliarc) it will put less heat into the shaft and spool.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oc1

You could also try taking it off then pounding the hell out of it on an anvil.  That would flatten the ratchet, making the hole smaller so you my be able to press it back in place.

I'd be scared to death trying to weld/braze something that close to the spool flange.  If you didn't melt the flange you might warp the shaft from uneven heating.  That's something you'd try when there is nothing left to loose.

Or, just yank it off and toss it.  Clickers are over-rated anyway.

-steve

Keta

TIG is very controllable and I would not worry about heating the spool.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Maxed Out

Greg, fix that clicker and sell your Magnum on fleabay for $250-300 and buy a pro gear 541 for $150-175 and you'll have a much better jigmaster Magnum and $100 to spend on your yak !

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

David Hall

Lee's got the fix.  A talented tig welder can fix it good as new. 

oldmanjoe

:)  Pop it off , straighten  with hammer  ,reinstall with a drop of locktite .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

Thank you for your input. Workable solutions, every one of them.
Thinkin this; I've got some pristine collectors reels: a 1/0, a 60, a 66, an Abu Ambassedur 5000, a M.G. 300 and a DAM Quick 330. Still lookin for a pristine Spinfisher. And I have some older used goodies; a L.B. Deluxe and a 97. Look for a welder to do it right, then retire the Mag. as another shelf queen and get serious about Ted's suggestion. The Penn/Accutate 500 Magnum might qualify as a collector reel, right?
Look for a Pro Gear 541. Been thinkin bout those for a couple of years now. People seem to think they are a great value, given the quality and cost.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

If you "glue" it you will never be able to TIG weld it.

Mark Twain

philaroman

if you reuse same ratchet & don't weld,
maybe, match a piece of brass tubing
to create a well for bonding agent &
support/position ratchet, while it sets/cures

otherwise, match the diameter on a ratchet that's a flange on a tube, rather than a flat disk
(old spinner spool cams, oscillation skirts on dead spinner mains, etc.) and cut the tube to size

steelfish

send it to me, I will take that clicker gear off and throw it away and keep the reel for use it in Baja,  I never use the clicker anyway.... problem solved  ;D ;D

The Baja Guy