Chum Salmon Fishing Trip Campbell River BC

Started by whalebreath, October 25, 2020, 01:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whalebreath

Fished Brown's Bay & environs Thursday & Friday-seiners vacuumed the place pretty much clean hit three fish Thurs & nothing Friday even quit early as the water was empty not a jumper to be seen and next to nothing on the sounder.

Sunrise over the mainland

Some people live right

The competition

Got a few

More competition(!)

Weather the second day

JoseCuervo

Cool. Thanks for the pictured report. Some fish always beats no fish.

;)

Rob

gstours

I agree, at least you got out and tried,  some days are diamonds n some daze r dogs.  thanks for your pictures too,  makes me jealous,  boats, smells, cool fresh air.  Its thereputic i,m saying. ;)

Crow

The number of fish you catch ISN'T what 'makes the trip'......
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

smnaguwa

Great photos! How do you eat the chum salmon?

Hardy Boy

Karl I heard it was hit and miss this year but as stated at least you got a few. I like my chum cold smoked.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

whalebreath

Quote from: smnaguwa on October 25, 2020, 02:35:27 PMHow do you eat the chum salmon?
Lightly smoked.

I'm surprised no one has noticed those high end Nautilus mooching reels -very simple, smooth as a stick of butter, and worth every dime.

Donnyboat

Karl, thanks for the report, nice pics & good info, any day is a good day on the water, even if the fish not biting, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gfish

Wow. Those commercial guy's were purse seining, right? Not gill netting? Never see 'em do it from the stern like a trawler would.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

nice reels...  if they make a patch
w/ "TESTED ON ANIMALS" logo
maybe I can afford, THAT  ;D

anyway, moochers are so specific
while, Noodles go w/ everything  ;D
do tell more about the rods, pls.

Dominick

Thanks for the reel link.  What kind of rods are those?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Maxed Out

Nice reels Karl. I did notice them right away. Love them single action reels and whips.

Your salmon are chromers. Our chum gets thier tiger stripes before hitting the estuary. Great fish for the smoker.

Vast majority of our commercially caught chum are sold for cat food. After a few days of netting, the processors are so stuffed they lower the price to pennies per pound.  Not long ago we used to drive down to the plant and fill up a pickup truck bed with chum for $20. Sadly it got overfished and run is now basically extinct and processing plant is also gone
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

whalebreath

Quote from: Dominick on October 25, 2020, 08:35:05 PM...What kind of rods are those?  Dominick
Shimano Technium very popular here in BC.

https://thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&kw=%2FSHIMANO%2FTECHNIUM-MOOCHING%2F&se=33763

Note the Gillnetters were lining up as we left and it looked to be slim pickings for them too.

Hardy Boy

Quote from: Gfish on October 25, 2020, 08:00:24 PM
Wow. Those commercial guy's were purse seining, right? Not gill netting? Never see 'em do it from the stern like a trawler would.

Our BC seiners are drum seiners while the Alaskans use table seiners ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, with no net drum.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd