8500SS build is finished?

Started by JasonGotaProblem, October 25, 2020, 02:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I don't wanna jinx myself, but i think this build is finished, other than I still want Bryan's drag upgrade (but that doesn't involve much disassembly). I finally got to give it some proper cast testing, and I was very pleasantly surprised by the distance I got, and the line lay. Got some pics while I was out there. Nothing was biting, but I still had a fun day out with my son. Maybe next time.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

Great effort!

Turned out great!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Donnyboat

Well done Jason, you should be very happy with that, now we want pics of the fish you catch, and leave some in the water for us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

JasonGotaProblem

The best part is given the nature of this reel's brass, bronze, and stainless steel components, I can have it a foot above the water in a holder like that with confidence. Just rinse it off at the end of the day.

Bill B

Turned out great....a Reel head turner 😂😂😂...spinners do not get a lot of love here, but this will probably change that...Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

RUSTY OLD COLT

Nice job ,always wanted to polish a penn 710 up . What steps did you use to strip and polish your 8500ss?

Brewcrafter

That is a sweet looking build. - john

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: RUSTY OLD COLT on October 26, 2020, 03:39:35 AM
Nice job ,always wanted to polish a penn 710 up . What steps did you use to strip and polish your 8500ss?
The steps I'll list are based on what I should have done, some of this was a learning experience that need not be repeated. The list won't exactly mirror the steps I actually took. I started out with 80 grit sandpaper and no stripper like an absolute moron, and that decision cost me easily 30 hours of unnecessary work. Here we go:

1. Use citristrip to remove the paint (if it's baked enamel like the 3rd gen spinfishers, if anodized use easy off oven cleaner and a lot of care, good gloves, and ventilation). With citristrip I found I had best results soaking it down, waiting a half hour, giving it a solid once over with a wire brush, then another spraydown, another half hour, and the rest of the paint will come off with the second pass with the wire brush. Then clean it really good with soap and water, and hit any spots you may have missed.

2. 600 grit sandpaper anywhere you had to go really hard with the wire brush, or any spots that were oxidized before you started. Get it nice and smooth.

3. 800 grit sandpaper over the whole thing, I found i had good results alternating directions each time I went up on sandpaper grit. I bave no scientific basis for that, but it worked out.

4. Wet sand with 1000 then 1500 then 2000 grit sandpaper. Do not rush. If 1000 grit didn't take off scratches from the 800 grit pass, 1500 def won't take them off. When you think you're ready to go up, give it another once over. Then go up a grit.

5. After using a few sheets of 2000 grit, Use buffing compound with a dremel or other rotary tool until it's so shiny you think it can't get any better (oh but it can). Warning: Several times I had to go back to 600 grit due to scratches made when my hand slipped and the knurled chuck from my dremel scratched the reel and i had to get those scratches out. A steady hand and a lot of patience is required. If your buffing head seems to be wearing out swap it. They are cheap. Get extra. This is not the place to be stingy.

6. Same rotary tool, same buffing heads, but this time use chrome polish. Go over it, a lot. You will think holy crap this thing is shiny I gotta be done already, but it can and will get even shinier and smoother if you keep at it. Don't get lazy here, its where all the magic happens.

Additional notes:
Every single scratch and spot that you think is no big deal and won't bother you down the line, so its ok you can move to the next step, while you're doing it, will bother the heck out of you after you finish. Trust me. Theres spots that drive me crazy and i wish I had done more carefully. And I'm honestly thinking about buying one of the cheap scratched up housings I see on fleabay to do a much better round 2. And i seriously might do it. So do yourself a favor and learn from my mistakes: become a perfectionist. Even if only temporarily. I know that this thing will get scratched in use, I fish from rocks, seawall, and beaches and I'm kinda clumsy. Its gonna get dropped. The scratches are inevitable. Its a workhorse, even if it currently looks like a show pony. And I will treat it like a workhorse. But that doesn't mean it can't look great initially and it also doesn't mean I'm gonna stop storing it in its current protective crown royal bag. It's a ton of work but totally worth it.

This was written with a lot of starts and stops while doing other stuff. So cut me some slack if there's some terrible grammar or spelling in there.

John, Bill, Don, and Fred: thank you. I'm very proud of what I created, and that's a bit of a new feeling. I'm not used to being the guy with something really cool, so i definitely need to get used to this feeling. By my googling this is the only polished 8500SS out there. Its weird to have the one of a kind thing.  In fact I could be wrong but I don't think I've seen any other polished SS reels, though there's definitely a few mirror finished Z's out there.

thrasher

Hey Jason, that 8500SS turned out great! I hope anybody fishing near you has some sunglasses on  ;D

I cant remember seeing a polished SS either but you are right about the Z's. I did a 714z a couple years ago and been looking for a inexpensive beat up 704Z to do next. Maybe I'll post some pics of the 714

I used a bench grinder with a buffing wheel, it goes a little quicker but hold tight. I got a little lazy polishing the rotor cup and it shot across the garage and cracked.

Again, sweet reel!!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~