Accurate 665H Service Tutorial

Started by Snagged2, December 23, 2011, 03:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snagged2

Howdy,,
I managed to get this tutorial built,, hit the link below and it'll take you right to it!!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Snagged2

Posted in its entirety here for your convenience..

Single Speed Twin Drag Reel

I learned about this from the Accurate website picture tutorials ..!!

Enjoy other models info on Accurate's suppport webpage.

A Friend of mine, dropped off a couple of Accurate leverdrag reels,, and, I'd never worked on
   anything like these before.. I had no idea how to even start..so, I looked up Accurate Reels website, and looked
   around,, and they have a great tutorial with pics on how to do this.. their information was very informative and
   gave me the confidence to attempt this..

So,,,, here we go..

The first thing is I removed the 4 little screws from the crank/right side with the appropriate
   Torx driver a T7 seemed to work well..

Then you should be able to separate the spool and rightside as a unit, from the leftside/frame
   assembly.

Remove the dirt shield,, it's a little grey plastic piece,, it's just sitting there, if it didn't
   fall out on its own..

To disassemble the frame components,, I removed the rod clamp studs,, You will need to remove
   them to get the right side and spool out.. at least on this reel.

Also, the reelfoot, held in place by 4 screws was removed.

The cap on the leftside is held in place by a little plastic like keeper ring,, Carefully remove
   it,, it has ears that fall into slots in the adjusting cap..

The endcap can just be pulled off at this point,, but, I used it to unscrew the little threaded
   piece that applies pressure to the spoolshaft. Then separate them once it comes out!

Don't overlook the O-ring.. I removed it, and got everything cleaned up and re-lubed..

The clicker mechanism is fairly straight forward.. e-clip holding the click tongue, and the black
   plastic "spring" held in place by two screws.. Remove,, clean and relube.. reassemble,,
   Everything on this reel looked OK, and was working nicely before,, so just a clean and lube here..

The bearing is held in place by an easily removed keeper ring,, carefully lift it up and remove
   it,, then the bearing can be gently nudged out of it's recess..

I then cleaned and regreased everything. And put a drop of Reel-X on the bearing.

Clean all the threaded components relating to the rod clamp and reelfoot, grease or re-grease

them and have them standing by for timely reassembly. I reassembled all the frame components at
   this time. It's very simple and straightforward,, the rod clamp studs, will be installed later.

Turning to the "Other half"!! Following along with the Accurate pictorial... Hope you looked it
   up!

Turn the rightside handle "up" on your bench,, you can remove the plastic cover from the
   leverdrag handle .

Set it aside,, and you can see the clip ring around the shaft,, it should be flush against the
   bearing,,

With the spool axle resting on your bench,, push down on the right side frame,, and you'll see
   the clip ring "lift"..

Remove it in this position,, while holding the components down,, you're overcoming spring
   tension,, but, not too much..

Once the clip is off ,, you can remove the spool assembly from the rightside assembly.

Turning to the rightside,, you can see the inside of the sideplate showing the main gear ,,

I turned it over,, and removed the handle nut lock screw then remove the handle nut..

Lift the crank arm off the gearshaft, remove the O-ring

push the gearshaft out of the housing towards the inside.. You can then remove the main gear from
   the shaft.. There are white spacers and brown "seals" on both sides,, carefully remove,

and I also lifted out the axle bearing behind the leverdrag

While on this side of the sideplate,, I removed the screws and keepers for the spring loaded
   lever "stops"

also I disassembled the handle,,

On to the lever drag ,,,,Remove these parts,, If they haven't fallen out,, you can pull on the
   knurled ring and these will come out..

Then, you'll need to run down the street to ask to borrow your buddies snap ring pliers... Remove
   the external snap ring that holds the lever arm onto it post.

You can remove the lever arm, and, don't lose the white spacer behind it..

There is a machined ring in the bottom of the lever arm "cup" that should just lift out..separate
   the knurled ring from the cam

Your benchtop should be looking similar to this...

You can now turn your attention to the spool and drag components..

I followed Accurates suggestion,, and began with removing the 4 screws from the handleside of the
   spool..

The black plate will lift off then the brake plate,, a small dog ring, and a small
   spring,,

do the same to the "clicker'' side,, and the spoolshaft will come out with those parts..

I didn't further disassemble as this reel was for service only,, and was actually working very
   well originally.

You should be somewhere like this....

You can see,, that the parts align themselves up into their respective groups!!!

I clean, inspect, and relube.. everything,, with appropriate care and material.

The frame consisting of the clicker mechanism, the axle tension mechanism(endcap w/ plunger)
   bearing, and reelfoot,, have already been cleaned and greased..

Everything is ready for re-lubing and reassembly.. so, I reassemble the lever drag stops

grease and reinstall the brown seals and white spacers, and maingear and shaft.

don't forget the O-ring

and a drop of Reel-X in the Clutch bearings.

Reinstall the serviced handle!!

The Leverdrag is now able to be put back together...so, white spacer, greased, lever handle..

a little swipe of grease and install the snap ring,, I hope you didn't have to run back
   down to your buddies house to borrow the snap ring pliers again...!!

Now,, the little cam ring needs to go in,, Look at it here,, there are 2 little areas cut out
   that have to match up to the leverhandle.. these flat spots keep it from turning inside the lever,,
   take care, get it indicated, and drop it in a well greased placement!!

Place the adjusting knob and upper cam into the assembly, install the bearing

Now, you can take the serviced spool assembly, and reinstall it into the rightside assembly,, the
   same action, only in reverse,, is used to install the snap ring onto the spoolshaft..

You can install the dirt shield

Put the frame onto the spool and right side assembly, install the 4 screws, test all
   functions,,and YOU"RE DONE!!

Courtesy of Greg,,Whiskerfishtackle.com

madday

nice tutorial....
can you get the anti reverse bearing out? does it easy to do?
thxuvm...

Snagged2

Thanks madday,
I didn't remove the IAR bearings,, but, if I needed to, I would try something like this..

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1654.0

I didn't look at removing them, so, I'd need to study on it to determine the parameters. It looked like to me that there was 2 of them side by side,, unless it's a double caged bearing,, anyow,, from a casual observation,, for reinstalling them, I might try one from the inside and the second one from the opposite side..if possible or necessary.

Maybe, others have tips, tricks,tools, or prodecures, etc..for dealing with them..!!

madday

@snagged2: thx for the link....

@alan: can you make this thread sticky?
thx...

subaruseun

awesome now i can confidently tackle my new toy and give it a good service

Bryan Young

Nice work.  I've done many of these reels and, and after the first one, it's not so bad as long as you remember to install the spool into the left sideplate before you put the side plate and spool together.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Great stuff Greg - appreciate the full posting.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

anthony

HELP !! Im not getting a smooth free spool  after the drag cam was installed , although I did set it at the lowest setting as possible with the lever on off position.

what did i do wrong  ??? 

Thanks

alantani

when you spin the spool, is there a rub every 360 degrees or is there constant rumble?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!