Shimano Saragosa 6000 SW

Started by Scattergun2570, October 30, 2020, 12:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

I know Shimano line roller bearings have been problematic. I am very diligent on keeping mine flooded with corrosion before and after every outing...last night I applied more after fishing the surf ,and
I use a rubber band to roll it To distribute. I now have some noise coming from that area..I even back out the screw and put some Corrosion X In from the screw side as well.but ?I guess that still doesn't protect it enough.Anyway,does anyone know if I can replace it with a bushing instead of a bearing? If so ,where can I get one,what size etc... thanks

philaroman

you mean you're doing all that, INSTEAD of opening up the roller & seeing what's inside ???

how do you know the noise is from corrosion?

could be wear, or grain of sand, or extra lube sloshing around...

or bits of rubber band  ;D (why use something that dry-rots & sheds particles)

if it is indeed corrosion. consider cheapest full-ceramic for that one "salt-exposed" bearing

otherwise, get the measurements & check Okuma brass roller bushings
I'm having fun finding old Okuma brass from inside spools & drag knobs (no individual part #s)
to shove into all sorts of weird Shimanoey places -- sometimes beneficial, sometimes just 'cause I can  ::)

Scattergun2570

I don't know what it's from,,I am going to open it...was just asking if a bushing can be swapped.

philaroman

in older shimano, you could swap bearing & bushing,
but they weren't same size -- you had to swap all 3(?) parts under the line-roller

Line Roller Support RD16340 has 2 prongs that MUST go into corresponding holes
if they pop out, entire bail-head/line-roller assembly is weak, loose, wabbly, w/ gaps
YOU CANNOT LOOSEN & NO-LOOK RE-TIGHTEN THIS TYPE OF BAIL-HEAD!!!

Scattergun2570

Thanks for that info..I will be taking it apart later today,,hopefully it's something minor.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: philaroman on October 30, 2020, 06:18:10 AM
in older shimano, you could swap bearing & bushing,
but they weren't same size -- you had to swap all 3(?) parts under the line-roller

Line Roller Support RD16340 has 2 prongs that MUST go into corresponding holes
if they pop out, entire bail-head/line-roller assembly is weak, loose, wabbly, w/ gaps
YOU CANNOT LOOSEN & NO-LOOK RE-TIGHTEN THIS TYPE OF BAIL-HEAD!!!

I opened it up,nothing in there at all..I have to assume its the bearing..only makes noise under a bit of load. I guess I will have to grease the new one to help combat it from happening again.

Homer Hiers

Got an unrelated question about these reels.

Mine has some side to side play in the handle coming out of the body. For a reel this expensive this is disappointing, but it is possible to add a shim/washer internally to remove this annoyance?

Thanks!

Foul-hookin' b-liners on fire rock

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: Homer Hiers on April 03, 2023, 04:29:03 PMGot an unrelated question about these reels.

Mine has some side to side play in the handle coming out of the body. For a reel this expensive this is disappointing, but it is possible to add a shim/washer internally to remove this annoyance?

Thanks!

Yes. Short answer yes. Odds are one is missing. The trick is... where.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

boon

Quote from: Homer Hiers on April 03, 2023, 04:29:03 PMGot an unrelated question about these reels.

Thanks!

Take the handle off, make sure the hood that sits over the threaded section is sitting properly, not starting to thread itself up the drive shaft, refit handle and see if your problem is resolved.

Homer Hiers

Yeah I checked that sleeve but it floats over the threads just fine.

JasonGotaProblem

I would disassemble and compare to the schematic. Unless this a very heavily used reel to the point where gears are worn down, then somethings gotta be missing. My default guess would be on the handle shaft, inside the reel, between the main gear and the housing. Sexond guess would be the far side of the main gear, but adding a shim on that side would push the main gear and pinion further apart affecting gear meshing. So on the handle side of the main gear would be my first guess.

And this is kinda basic, but make sure the pin that holds the handle arm and pivot together isn't loose.

That's the best i got.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-content/uploads/schematics/Shimano/Saragosa/Shimano%20Saragosa%20SRG6000SW.pdf

that's it -- correct?  looks like RD 6192 is/are the main gear adjustment shim(s)
don't know Saragosa, but older models (esp., Malaysian) commonly had 2 or 3 factory-installed,
where schematics showed only one (if, any)...  really thin & easy to lose during service
most likely cause of sudden increase of side-to-side handle play
if it was gradual, then it's probably gear wear...  either way -- add a shim

Homer Hiers

UPDATE:

Used part #RD18804 which came with 2 washers. I tried using both and the reel was a little less silky. Removed the thinner of the two and now the reel handle feels perfect. Near zero in and out play from the body.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.