Last day for me for Salmon a season 2020

Started by David Hall, October 31, 2020, 04:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

I thought it was over, the opportunity passed, for many years I have been in pursuit of big king a Salmon.  My largest landed to date on sport gear was 19.4 measured on a good spring scale.  I've caught many many kings and had yet to see a true 20#er.  Today I was invited out with a friend.  He's been awesome this year in helping me learn to fish out of the big city San Francisco.  Sometimes out in his boat, sometimes mine, sometimes buddy boating I have found it to be a wonderful fishery. Monterey bay were I have fished the past 20 years was off this year, just not a lot of Kings so it made it easier for me to explore new fisheries.  The fishing had been spotty, nothing I would call wide open bites, with only few trips resulting in limits, last trip out Rob caught all the fish, everything bit only on his rod all day, we got limits that day though.  Today I broke it out, after hooking and landing a solid 15lber and a 9#er, my rod went off again and this time it was pumping large, using a Lami glass XCC 111- 9'-3" with shimano tekota, spooled up with 65# braid and 40# flouro topshot, it finally happened.  20 minutes of walking the dog and driving in a circle it came to net.  It was fun. I played him out, he still broke the net.   Net man got a little excited when he saw the fish but still did a great job on it.  24# on the scale, 20# on the scale gutted and gilled. A nice big mature buck.  And finished off the day with two limits for three of us and iced the cake with a 28" halibut.  It was one of those rare days where the blind squirrel finally found a nut.the kind of days we live for.

MarkT

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together and you get the PB!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Brewcrafter

David that is one nice fish!!!!  Plenty of smoked salmon for the winter! - john

Gfish

Coooollll! Break-out the smoker. And a halibut to boot! Great narrative. Indeed, the kind of fishing day we live for...
Photo of the month?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Maxed Out

Congrats David !!

Now we need to work on getting you a Tyee (above 30#)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

David Hall

Quote from: Maxed Out on October 31, 2020, 08:19:02 PM
Congrats David !!

Now we need to work on getting you a Tyee (above 30#)

Everyone on the boat was screaming tyee when they saw this fish land on the deck.  Just goes to show if you never carry a scale you can call it whatever your imagination wants to.  There's been a lot of high 30# numbers reported this year but I don't know how many of them were on a scale.  I suspect few if any where.  The tree club is one I can still look forward to, but first I have to break the 25# mark.

JoseCuervo

Dave, that is great! I am very happy for you, that is a beautiful fish! What a season, even if not on the home turf. PB on the last day.

Was that out at Dux, or more Stinson Beachish, or ?

I am with Gfish, a photo of the month contender at least.

Any idea on the tally for the year? It has to be a dozen at least, maybe two?

See you soon my friend, crabs are next I believe..  ;)

Rob

David Hall

The exact same area we have fished all season.  And guess what?  I was wrong there's a whole bother week!

JoseCuervo

I knew that.  :o I figured you were done after yesterday.

What are you saying? Another trip might be in the cards?

;)

Maybe you can better your best! It has been a great salmon season in spite of it being such a crappy year, in general.

Dominick

Dave, nice work.  My best caught off of Duxbury Reef and caught within 15 minutes of each other were 39.4 and 40.3lbs (this was several years ago).  They were weighed at the bait shop when Oyster point had a bait shop.  It was one of those days where nothing happened until about noon when we were starting to talk about leaving because the wind was coming up, then all of a sudden we had doubles on.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Hardy Boy

A 24 lber is a nice spring anywhere you fish. Nice job !! I have seen guys complain when they don't get anything over 30 but any springs these days over 20 is a nice fish, fights good and is still good eating. Now you need a mooching reel and 10.5 foot rod ( whip as Ted calls them) to catch them Canadian style !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Donnyboat

Great Day Dave, good catch, nice pics, good memories, congrats, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Sharkb8

Good one Dave achieving your goal a ripper of a fish.

Kim

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

David Hall

Quote from: Hardy Boy on October 31, 2020, 10:54:21 PM
A 24 lber is a nice spring anywhere you fish. Nice job !! I have seen guys complain when they don't get anything over 30 but any springs these days over 20 is a nice fish, fights good and is still good eating. Now you need a mooching reel and 10.5 foot rod ( whip as Ted calls them) to catch them Canadian style !!

Cheers:

Todd

I got the rod, it's same model as this one only 10'-6". I just don't have one of those knuckle buster mooching reels.  I really like my tekotas.