Pro Gear + Pro Gear + Fancy Schmancy Fish!

Started by Gfish, November 02, 2020, 03:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewcrafter

Right side up/upside down I don't care those are cool photos and thanks for sharing!  Looks like you had a Waxwing and something that looked like a Krokodile on for terminal lures. And a day on the water beats just about anything else!
And thankful you didn't become a speed bump for the tourist boats - I know what they can be like - there is a whale watch boat in SoCal that had several hundred yards of Spectra wrapped in it's prop that I may know something about  >:(  

oc1

Nice looking reels and nice scenery.

Quote from: Gfish on November 02, 2020, 03:30:39 AM
Maybe some test fishin on Election-day Tuesday, as it is an official school system holiday here.

Shhhh...  Don't anyone tell them that there are no polling places now.

-s

steelfish

beautiful landscapes Gregg, thanks for posting one normal fishing day.
The Baja Guy

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Sharkb8

Gfish the photos look good to me I come from the land down under.

Kim

handi2

Great pictures. Now I have to go eat some of Ted's Tuna ;D ;D
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gfish

Test #2 delayed 'cause of weather. Vet's day was the plan, but we finally got our trade winds back x2. 20 mph winds, my max for yakin is 15 and then it's best to stay close to shore, 'till they go down to 10, or so. At least the humidity is down and my laundry will air dry now, gotta take what ya can, when ya can.

Hanamaulu Bay, sometimes a good launch spot. And some Nene's[Hawaiian species of geese]. As close as they'ed let me get. Gotta practice with my new i-Pad. O' boy! I can now draw on photos!

In a great mood the last few days, everyone else here seems to be too. Folks drivin past me with a smile on their faces, then I realize it's cause they see the one on my face, but I think we're prolly thinking the same thing. Hmmmm...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Maxed Out

Gregg, shouldn't your pics be upside down ??;D

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oc1

Quote from: Gfish on November 10, 2020, 10:27:05 PM
thinking the same thing
Yeah, for sure.  That was funny Ted.  I enjoyed the month of calm winds while it lasted.  Always happens about this time of year. 
-steve

Gfish

2nd test. Waitin and waitin on the weather, I gave up and headed out Thanksgiving AM. Water conditions not too bad. Weather was 5-10 mph winds and frequent rain squalls. Fine with me, gettin a freshwater rinse. As I predicted, had the place to myself.
You can see from the creek conditions(runs into the launch area and goes by my house 3.5 miles north)there's gonna be a trubidity zone out there, 4th & 3rd pictures. More commin...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Trubidity zone ends abruptly. My first idea is to troll along, and in and out of, the blue water/brown water mixing zone. The Green Sea Turttles were goin nutz in the dark brown water closest to the creek. No bites that I could hook, both trollin and castin(sub-surface spoons and jiggin the bottom). The dirt and detritus washing into the seawater is a good thing to me. Hawaii's tropical water is relatively sterile compared to the temperate waters of the Calie n' Oregon coast, I have experienced. Nutrients increase the productivity. This though, is a good time to beware of sharks, where creeks/rivers empty in. Prolly alota animal carcasses wash down.

2nd picture, 81' deep, 78.8 degrees f. and trollin slow at 3.7mph. 4th pic., electronic motor control readout, 100% battery power, 5.3 hrs. capacity at present power consumption, 3.5mph(close to fish finder read out) and 159 watts of power being used.
3rd, the 541.
5th, rainbow!

Gfish

One more long troll with the 541 & 545 straight out to the blue water. No bites. Ok, gotta be honest and say that I'm kinda stringing you along, cause I didn't to test the pro gears on a big'un. It's been that way this year. Have caught fewer of all species I normally catch. But, hey, I took alot of pictures...
Dive boat in 2 pictures. Earlier I got into it with a zodiac dive craft tourist group. Same situation as last time. I was takin pics. of a pod of Spinner dolphins doin some kinda "heard the bait up, then surround 'em and dive all at once" thing. Cool! But, none of the pictures I tried to take, got took! Missed the i-phone button? Yup, the zodiac charged right into the middle of the dolphins. Me: "HEY! you can't do that! There's something called the Marine Mammal Protection Act! You're harassing them!" They look over at me:" Whaaaat"? Prolly thinkin(correctly)"what a jerk".
On this Island, I doubt anyone is gonna get into trouble for that. I think positive tourism($) experience is gonna trump them type of laws here.

Gfish

Moved over to the 30' to 60' reef next, to try some castin. Tap on pics. to turn 'em right side-up.
The 1st fish, to me, has a body and fins like a Parrotfish, no spines in the fins(that I could feel), but a mouth with fangs like a snapper? The second critter was acanthoptyrigian(I know huh, spelling) or spiny finned, with a snapper-like fanged mouth. Couldn't ID either of 'em with my reeffish book...?

Gfish

So, I tore the 545 down yesterday evening. Good thing, there was some water in there. One way or another it will get in, if it's a conventional used on a kayak.
For a Jigmaster 500 size reel, this one takes the cake. It's almost the same to me as my Accurate Jigmaster magnum, both have 113H spool shafts, gears and bridge sleeve/star. However the PG, has a unique one-peice frame/tail-plate. there's a two screw head-plate that fits down into a recessed section of the frame. The head-plate ls shaped like an eared Penn drag washer, with the plate ears(where the 2-screws are) fitted down into recessed areas in the frame. Stronger than the Accurate Magnum and beautifully designed, with take down simplicity in mind.
Another thing about the PG's is that they are relatively inexpensive for a conventional of this quality. Thinking about the Penn Jigmaster series, the oldschool SeaLine series, and the aftermarket Jiggies, the Sealines come the closest to the PG's in strength and quality, but the PG's beat 'em all.
The SeaLines have one advantage if you like to protect the edge of your anodized side-plates; they have chromed brass outside rings, that aren't even needed for strength, just there for looks and protection.

wailua boy

Nice pics. The first one is a rock mover and the second is a female tableboss or Hawaiian Hogfish aka a'awa