Hulicat Crab and Rockfish Nov. 23rd Hulicat

Started by theswimmer, November 05, 2020, 04:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

"Huli" means turn around, turn over or capsize in Hawaiian.
-steve

Rancanfish

Whoa, who needed to know that.  :D

Looking forward to pics Wayne.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Crab Pot

Quote from: El Pescador on November 24, 2020, 03:29:31 PM
Quote from: Crab Pot on November 23, 2020, 05:40:56 PM
Just a slight breeze.  ;D

Holly Crap, when were those pictures taken Jose Cuervo?
Mavericks I assume?
Crab Pot,
I posted this showing the Hulicut going over some great waves during a shoot at Mavericks - my older son was on the boat, and if you read the thread, he and his work associates were hit and covered with a big wave and they and their gear were soaked!!!!

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23637.0

I'll post my photos later today.

Wayne

WOW Wayne, those photos were insane.

That boat has no business being in water like that.

I'm sure the throttle to prop response time on that big heavy girl is minimal.

Glad your son wasn't hurt.

Looking forward to the trip photos. Did the weather guessers get it right?
Buy it nice or buy it twice.

wailua boy

Quote from: oc1 on November 24, 2020, 05:59:21 PM
"Huli" means turn around, turn over or capsize in Hawaiian.
-steve
Hopefully, they mean avoiding the huli since a cat never lands on its back.

Ron Jones

That's why it is called Huli Huli chicken!
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

El Pescador

Alright, Kids, I'm back, rested and ready to post,

This fishing day was the WORST and most difficult day I've ever had on the water,  the internet was exactly correct, winds at 24 knots, gusts to 30+ knots, waves at 10-12 feet.

But the planning was perfect, I stopped by Marina Market (Local Asian Food Market) for frozen Squid,

And I want to thank Jennifer for getting up at 4 AM to make our lunches for the day.  God bless this woman.

I need to do a post on her - Jennifer's World Famous Get Out of Town and Go FISHING Sandwiches.   They are truly world-famous.

Leaving the Harbor, Jonathan was chatting with several young ladies about the day will hold for us.

The white ball on the hill is the Piller Point Air Force Station, and half a mile out at sea is the World Famous MAVERICK's HUGE winter wave surfing area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mavericks,_California

Still no reason to think things will get bad soon,

Zack, sitting and smiling is our deck hand, GREAT guy and excellent deck hand.

Alright , it is staring, do you see it.  Waves above the handrails.

Gary the BUTT MAN, this is for you.  I thought you'd enjoy this weld run.  Seen better on the USS Maiko!!!!!

Most of the day, we were 5-8 miles offshore.

See it now???  It is getting spritzy for sure

Waves were pushing us around all day long.

the fishing we do, we were getting pounded between the rail and the boat, TOUGH DAY>

While pulling crab pots, I was asked to the Gaff Guy, my job was to gaff the rope between the two crab pot buoys.  not easy, only missed two sets.

My buddy, Jose, was out early due to seasickness, but it didn't stop his buddy, Antonio for eating his sandwich!!!  We can still have fun.

We did get our 10 crab each, and back at home steaming them.

Antonio running the show.  This guy was an energy ball, never gave up.

I finished off the filleting the rockfish, per CAL Fish and GAME when you leave the sportfishing vessel, a flap of skin has to remain on the fish, of ID purposes.  I was trimming it off, and getting the filet ready to bag.

All in all, a great day with TOUGH fisher folks, but 10-12 foot waves do take a toll on your energy level.  NO ONE got hurt thank GOD.

I know just a few photos, I was more concerned about hanging on and NOT losing my iPhone in the high seas.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

oc1

Regardless of the trip, you always do great trip reports and you guys take eating to a whole new level.  But, there are no phish photos!  :)
-steve

Ron Jones

That's when you know you're fishing. Look down the leeward side and see the rockfish on the bottom.
Way to bring home the bacon.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

JoseCuervo

Wayne!

Thanks for the pics. Some of the fisherwomen seem to like the same flavor of road soda as I do!

If everyone came home safe with a catch, all is well.  :)

See you soon.

Rob

Crab Pot

Buy it nice or buy it twice.

theswimmer

I have a few more pics I will post in a bit .
Great trip for me . Can not say enough about Zak , the decky .
Working alone only hand on the boat , never got flustered , never got short with anyone I saw despite
folks  messing up almost every drift in some way . Kid gets an A+ from me !
As Wayne described it was rather nautical , most of the day after 11 am ,  9' -12 ' but only about 9 sec apart . Couple that with a steady 25 knot wind and it made for an interesting day .
Heros of the day goes to the 3 ladies who fished on both sides of me all day . all sick from about 11:30 am on and never quit fishing  I mean never !
All in all a good day , made new friends and brought home a mess o crabs and fish . Oh ya , and meet a Very nice young lady with the DF and W  ::)
What a day !
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

JoseCuervo

Nice! Zack is a stud, I have fished with him before many times. He is always helpful no matter what needs doing. I assume Mike was skippering and Tom had started his vacay?

Things can obviously get sporty out there!

Fresh crab for Thanksgiving kind of makes up for the very lousy year this has been..

Donnyboat

Did the 3 ladies catch any fish, & Wayne thanks for your report & pics, good value. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

El Pescador

Quote from: Ron Jones on November 25, 2020, 03:41:18 AM
That's when you know you're fishing. Look down the leeward side and see the rockfish on the bottom.
Way to bring home the bacon.
The Man
Ron, you are exactly correct!!!  On AT LEAST a half a dozen times, when I was on the bow fishing, and we went up on a big roller wave when the boat crested, I KEPT GOING!!!!  had 4" of daylight between the sole of my boots and the deck!!!!  And I'll tell you, that WILL make your private parts tingle, and NOT ALWAYS in a good way ;D!!!!     Antonio and I kept grabbing each others jackets to slow our movements while on the Bow.
Wayne

Quote from: JoseCuervo on November 25, 2020, 04:13:11 AM
Wayne!

Thanks for the pics. Some of the fisherwomen seem to like the same flavor of road soda as I do!

If everyone came home safe with a catch, all is well.  :)

See you soon.  
Rob

Rob, the three fishing lady crew were fun, Every time she grabbed another Bud Light, I would LOUDLY say, " I SAID A BUD LIGHT!!!!"   Don't know why BUTT that drew the laughs.   And she continues to bang the bud lights until off the boat.    Wayne

Quote from: oc1 on November 25, 2020, 03:38:59 AM
Regardless of the trip, you always do great trip reports and you guys take eating to a whole new level.  But, there are no phish photos!  :)
-steve

Steve, Sorry, a REELY tough weather day, I spent most of the day holding on to the rail instead of taking photos, at the end of the day, I had only taken 17 shots.  
My wife, Jennifer, was very concerned about me getting too banged up on the boat due to the sea conditions, and I was more concerned about losing my iPhone over the side when the next big wave hit.  Either way, we got home with 10 PLUMP Dungeness Crab and mostly a bag of Rockfish.
Sorry, let's do another trip, I'll redeem myself at that time!!!!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Gfish

Great report. Plenty of good pictures Wayne. Reality. I had one trip outta 1/2 Moon like that. Deckhand didn't tell tell us the usual thing about chumming over the rail, and using the head was miserable after some rookies got sick before our first stop. My legs were sore after that one and it was an hour back on shore before I could think of eating lunch.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!