Groin saver rod huki

Started by gstours, November 05, 2020, 05:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

A little while ago someone asked about my adaptation of a commercial type pod rod butt cushion that works great and is affordable, easily within the grasp of most diy folks.  It's very portable on the boat and can be shared around as needed, slips on ad off easily,  and can be customized as desired.

steelfish

pure genious !!

you're da'Man Gary
The Baja Guy

gstours

The 2 components are a hollow dog toy ball found in many departments stores or pet store and a tube to slip over the rod butt.  I used a hole saw to make a round hole in the hollow ball, silicone for the adhesive from a hardware store.  The tube can be ABS, PVC, or if you can locate one, a piece from a rod holder like on a Scotty downrigger.  

El Pescador

Gary!

AND IT FLOATS!!!   Ask me why I know!!!!

You did a DYI mod on my commercially available groin saver - The Cush-it!   Still, it does flex more than your custom model.

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=27228.0

BUTT I need to schedule a return trip to Gustavus, AK to RECON the Modified Cush-it on a 200+ lbs. Halibut from 180' down!!!!!

Let's make it happen.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Crow

Thanks for sharing that, Gary !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

gstours

When the hole is drilled, go slow with a variable speed drill, a vice will help butt sqishes some so use another gloved hand and help hold it.  Then rough up the inside of the ball opposite the hole where the end will make contact.  
 Another important step is to saw teeth or drill small holes on the bottom end of the plastic tube for grip
As plastic and silicone won't really grip well.  Where the tube fits at the top of the ball this area should also be at least sanded or additional holes or hacksaw cuts at the location of the upper part of the ball, and even below slightly to be hidden.

gstours

Lastly glob in silicone to the inside of the ball and using a finger add silicone to the inside of the upper hole,
   Add generous amounts of silicone from a caulk gun.  Then assemble the 2 parts ,  clean as desired,
     Then charter a boat and go fishing after a day of curing.

gstours

And after digging into the pickures box a pretty good one found of Peskydore.  I was glad to help,  every picture tells a story. :)
     These things work great,  Huh Wayne? ???

El Pescador

Gary!

Nice new business venture,

Are you taking orders????? ;D

Wayne

Donnyboat

Thanks for sharing Gary, great idea, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

El Pescador

Quote from: gstours on November 05, 2020, 05:41:42 PM
And after digging into the pictures box a pretty good one found of Peskydore.  I was glad to help,  every picture tells a story. :)
    These things work great,  Huh Wayne? ???

Gary,

If my memory serves me, that is 160 lbs. Halibut I'm winching up from 180' below in the frigid fjord waters of Glacier Bay!!!!

Wayne

Gobi King

Hey Gary,

Did you put anything inside the ball?
How long did the silicone adhesive take to cure?

did you block off the bottom of the tube?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

gstours

ok, ok,  yes this is a good thing... even for women n children.  butt its fun to wait for my men frriends to ask for the Ball Thing.  and  more pictures are available upon request. :-X
  Q-2   yes you should add a lot of silicone to the bottom floor of the ball before and after inserting the tube hopefully vertically and stirr it around to the tube,  after the drilling and cleaning / scruff interior.    vacuum or tilt to rid of the loose particles,   dust, 
  ive used these almost every day and they work for me,   I like belts, harnesses, when they are needed ....... Butt more people catch small fish than big fish....................like more people have a dime than a dollar................
    To prevent boredom be a diy person...... ;)

gstours

Gobi,  no hole thru thebottom.  only one hole.  top side.   the rod butt sits in the ball lining and that it.  yes you can add silicone to the bottom and smooth it against the sidewall of the tube to insure a smooth surface.  24 yous at room temperature will cure the silicone .....
   then goo fishin....... ;)

Ryan_W

Nice job and thank you for sharing