WHAT THE ?????????

Started by SteveL, December 18, 2020, 03:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveL

I was browsing ebay and these reels popped up.    Almost want to order one just to try to figure out what they were thinking when they made these.

Note the knurled metal handle knob which is 'perfect' for a long day of fishing.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/293871621180

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313327455464

Wompus Cat

I Reely like the Automatic Wiring System

That would come in Handy bringing up those Electric EELS!
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Swami805

I saw those when they popped up on eBay too.  A better mousetrap?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

happyhooker

The blue one must attach to the rod sideways, like some of the old auto fly reels did.

Frank

SteveL

The silver and gold one claiming to be all metal body, might actually be fairly well made for whatever is was ntended for.   But that blue one just reminds of George on Seinfeld when he says "I got nothing."

Swami805

I'm having a hard time figuring how the blue one would work. Doesn't look like it would pivot so it would be flat on top of the rod? Or do you mount the reel seat sideways on the rod? Maybe I'm missing something?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oldmanjoe

The blue one is a side winder ,like this .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

philaroman

blue one is probably a Kite reel they were already making/selling anyway
modified a bit to "open a new Market"

oc1

The blue one is just like the Goite reels of the 1950's.  The reel sits on top of the rod for casting and is then turned over and retrieved with the reel on the bottom.  The spool is palmed like a fly reel when a fish is taking drag.  Be careful to keep your fingers out of the spokes.  I have used them and it is not nearly as awkward as it looks and sounds.  With polished bushing they cast surprisingly well and the large diameter gives you a fairly high retrieve rate (IPT). The eye makes it unnecessary to guide the line onto the spool although they cast much better with the eye removed.  Using one on a baitcasting rod with the drop-down reel seat (as shown in the picture) would be really uncomfortable because that trigger thing would be on top of the rod when retrieving line.

The gold and silver reel is a modern-style underhead jigging reel.  It too is mounted under the rod.  It's cranked with the right hand.
-steve

SteveL

That explains a lot.  Searching "underhead jigging reel" pulls up several reels including this one on Aliexpress:

(This one looks nice, and it better be for $312 straight out of China)

And this one on Ebay (about $220):

(For these prices, you might think they would include the "automatic wiring system")

SteveL

Here is a video showing an actual Goite reel, said to be an Indiana style reel in the video:

SteveL

They have Goite reels on ebay.   At least one listing indicates they were ice fishing reels:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193681556314

oc1

I don't know that Goites were sold in stores.  I don't remember seeing them.  But they had advertisements in the back of a lot of newsprint paper magazines.  The advert made them sound like the best thing since sliced bread for casting.  That large spool had a lot of inertia.  The biggest problem may have been the size rather than the weird operation.  They were much larger than a normal baitcaster at about the same price.
-steve

SteveL

Round 2.

Apparently another underhead jigging reel with solar powered line counter.

"Hronyenorts Fishing Reel with Solar Power Digital Line Counter New 4+1 Ball Bearings GT 3.5:1 CNC Machined Aluminum Spool Reel"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V7TCDLW/