Star Rods Fly rod

Started by Reeltyme, November 06, 2020, 01:07:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

if it's pawned, it's probably researched
look at that shop's prices flor items you know WELL
if you see no bargains, at all -- rod's not likely to be a steal

oc1

From reading the Star Rods web site, I wonder why I've never heard of them.  Probably because they are out of my league.

Star started in 1958. Harnell/Harrington blanks were readily available into the 1970's.  Harnell/Harrington had an 8'0" 6wt blank and a 8'6" 6/7 wt. blank.

But, the Star web site makes a big deal about making blanks on their own mandrels.
-steve

byfly

I sell Star Rods here at West Marine in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. and I am very familiar with Star's line-up. Star's are moderately priced and a great bargain. Barry Heller of Punta Gorda, Fl.  started the company which is presently owned by Big Rock Sports, an East Coast wholesale Sports Distributor. I have no knowledge of any fly rods that were made by/for them. T & R Tackle in Lauderdale by The Sea, Florida built most of Barry's prototypes. It is possible a fly rod or two were built for the Bass Tournament folks. Especially since we/re practically next door to Lake Okeechobee.The most coveted Star's are the rods with an American Flag decal=.
A peripheral fishing personality living on the edge of the fabled Florida Everglades

alantani

thanks for the information!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rancanfish

I still have a star rod rated 15-40lb.  I never see them out here anymore.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Jim Fujitani

I also have owned a Star Rod, B3050HC, 30-50#, 6 1/2 foot, for 20 years.  I bought it used, from an online forum for $60 plus shipping from the east coast.  It was cheaper than a Calstar or Seeker and it arrived in excellent condition. It was my third albacore rod, after a Fenwick and a Seeker Black Steel, and boated its share of fish.  

I followed the Star Rods company for years, even downloading an annual catalog or two.  But I could not find another decent used Star Rod for a good price (as we all know, shipping costs for one piece rods across the country have become a deal killer).  Then later, I was able to afford a new Grafighter or two.  I found that buying new rods isn't cost-efficient since I was going on only one San Diego multi-day trip per year.

I now own more Seeker Black Steel rods than any other model.  

Cuttyhunker

On a second visit and closer look the rod is graphite dark charcoal.  Most of the new fly rods tend to be more than two piece especially if belonging to a traveling angler.  There was some talk on the fly forum on some tourney's limiting rods to no more than 2 piece.  Pretty rod, but not for me.
Doomed from childhood