alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Jigmaster 501
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
November 29, 2020, 02:52:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jigmaster 501  (Read 762 times)
thrasher

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2020, 06:00:36 PM »

Nice work as always Mo, I love them narrows. What gear sleeve and star did you use? I only ask because the old sleeve looks like a fine thread and the new sleeve looks like a coarse thread.
Brewcrafter

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2020, 09:10:12 PM »

Mo - Awesome build as usual and such wonderful attention to detail - and that is what makes all the difference.  Thanks for sharing! - john
mo65
The Freshwater Kid...Chillicothe, Ohio
Sensei

"This ship is filthy Mr. Christian!"

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2020, 05:28:32 AM »

Nice work as always Mo, I love them narrows. What gear sleeve and star did you use? I only ask because the old sleeve looks like a fine thread and the new sleeve looks like a coarse thread.

Great eye Thrasher. The old sleeve was indeed a fine thread sleeve...and if I remember correctly...the only NOS sleeve I had in my parts stash was a coarse thread version. I believe that star I used is a #10-49, but since it was an old non-numbered part, I can't be certain. For large star subbing, just remember the #10-505 is fine thread, and the #10-49 and #10-66 are coarse thread. Another worthy note...the #10-66 is just a tad thicker than the #10-49.Cool

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelfish
the Baja Guy
Sensei

Sea of Cortez

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2020, 12:29:48 PM »

when I started to fish in Saltwater back in 2005, yep not too long ago, thats when I changed from a city boy to a Coastal boy, I bought a penn 501 that was my favorite reel, it was completely stock but it was really good for fish corvinas, triggerfish, seabass and many other small and medium sized fish, then few years later I found out about YT and groupers in the same waters and I had to sold it to fund me a stronger reel.
with all the current upgrades pretty sure it would be a nice reel in my arsenal

* IMG00130.jpg (206.6 KB, 1280x1024 - viewed 14 times.)
Brendan
Firearms Group

Capistrano Beach, CA

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2020, 08:13:40 AM »

Nice one Mo. A friend dropped a 112H of for me to clean up that has the end play you fixed in the gear sleeve. thanks for posting, Brendan.
Oh Alex in May 2019 while fishing Bay Of Los Angeles, Igor reminded me they make reels in two speeds now. Referring to my vintage quiver.
      Scouring the garage for shim now.
Brendan
Firearms Group

Capistrano Beach, CA

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2020, 03:07:04 PM »

Mo is there a point when shimming the gear sleeve that you would also have to do the same to the dog as well? Iíve never tried this before and the end play in the reel Iím working on seems like a lot.
Thanks in advance, Brendan.
mo65
The Freshwater Kid...Chillicothe, Ohio
Sensei

"This ship is filthy Mr. Christian!"

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2020, 05:59:30 AM »

Mo is there a point when shimming the gear sleeve that you would also have to do the same to the dog as well? Iíve never tried this before and the end play in the reel Iím working on seems like a lot.
Thanks in advance, Brendan.

I can't imagine needing to shim the sleeve so much that the dog needed shimmed also. Often what seems like a ton of play in the sleeve turns out to be not nearly as much as you thought. A few thousandths can feel like much more than it really is. Only loosing a few thousandths of contact on the dog can't be much of a strength issue. I have never had a dog failure because of a sleeve that has been shimmed. Cool

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat
donnyboat
Photo Group

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2020, 08:35:59 AM »

Nice work Mike as usual, thanks for all the finer details, cheers Don.

Don, or donnyboat
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: