Avet EX 30/2 - drag lever extremely stiff

Started by Modot66, August 14, 2022, 05:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modot66

so i've had this reel apart 5 times to check everything and i'm stumped.

basically with 20# drag at strike pushing the drag lever from freespool to strike takes considerable effort, and moving to sunset is near impossible. i do have freespool with this drag setting and i can turn the handle.

in addition to checking everything numerous times against the schematics, i replaced pinion bearing, reset drag cam, made sure belleville washers were (), and tried putting the metal drag plate on the high and low pins. drags were lightly coated with cal's grease and wiped off.

i'm literally stumped. for a reel that claims 35# max drag at strike a setting at 20# should be easy peasy.

any ideas on what else i can check? could the drag lever gotten bent? it looks straight. is there another thing to look for in setting the drag cam?

i have an avet EX 50/2 and am familiar with lever drags so think i have a good feel for what is normal.

oldmanjoe

Sounds like you may be fighting with the Belleville   washers .   Try ]] instead of [].
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

The only thing I can think of is a bearing not fully seated.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oldmanjoe

Good call , that will limit the stroke ...
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare