alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Avet SX Raptor - Rust on Inner Drag Plate
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
November 29, 2020, 02:21:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avet SX Raptor - Rust on Inner Drag Plate  (Read 293 times)
tarpon one

« on: November 09, 2020, 09:07:21 AM »

I decided to tear down my Avet SX Raptor for the first time and found a significant amount of rust on the drag surface of the inner Brake Disc. I cleaned it up the best I could with a wire brush on my electric drill but some pitting in the disc remains. How critical is it that all pitting be removed or should I just order a new Brake Disc and be done with it?
Keta
D'oh!

Klamath Falls, OR US

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 09:14:55 AM »

I decided to tear down my Avet SX Raptor for the first time and found a significant amount of rust on the drag surface of the inner Brake Disc. I cleaned it up the best I could with a wire brush on my electric drill but some pitting in the disc remains. How critical is it that all pitting be removed or should I just order a new Brake Disc and be done with it?

Thank Avet for their "dry drag". If you want a smooth drag replace the plate and grease the CF drag disk so it does not happen again.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 09:26:52 AM »

don't worry about the pitting.  once cleaned up, you should be good!!!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
tarpon one

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 11:44:00 AM »

Thank Avet for their "dry drag". If you want a smooth drag replace the plate and grease the CF drag disk so it does not happen again.
I cleaned the rust out of the drag washer with CRC Brakleen and a toothbrush, then let the CF drag disk thoroughly dry. I then rubbed Cal's grease into the drag disc and wiped off any excess with a clean paper towel. It was almost as though all the grease was absorbed into the carbon fibre. Did I use enough grease?
gstours
Firearms Group

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 02:10:30 PM »

To insure the pitting will not continue I,d rub more grease into the Carbon fiber and then rub off the excess on the surfave with a clean cotton rag.  ... Like greasing the boat trailer bearings.    Its good insurance.. Wink
MarkT

Mission Viejo, CA, USA

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 02:44:26 PM »

You shouldn't be able to see the grease on the drag washer after rubbing it in and wiping it off.  It makes the drag smoother and keeps water from getting in and causing the issue you had!

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: