Servicing a Sea Wonder 2090 EJ

Started by sandbar, November 09, 2020, 11:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandbar

Seeking a Sensei for advice again.
I'm starting on a 2090 tonight and ran into a bearing shielded on both sides.
What is the protocol for servicing these?
I think that I'm going to run into the same
issue I had on the 2070 where the bearing
adores the pinion so much that it doesn't want to be separated.
-Steve

Midway Tommy

They can be separated. The process has been discussed here numerous times. Put the nut on the worm gear flush with the top, drill a hole in a block of wood or support the bearing (inner race) between two blocks of wood and, using a block of wood and a protective hammer tap the top of the pinion worm gear until the bearing breaks loose. You can add some penetrating oil or lacquer thinner in the joint between the race & pinion before hand to loosen it up a little if you like. I have never had a bearing I could not remove from the pinion using this method.

You can carefully remove a shield and later replace it if you like if you feel the need to clean the inside of the bearing and relubricate it.     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

sandbar

Hello Tommy,
I've used the hole in the block of wood method before,
but on the Sea Wonder 2070 that I just finished, the bearing
would not let go after several blows so I left it on. I'm wasn't
sure of the availability of a replacement bearing.
I plan to try to get the bearing removed with this method on this reel also.

Removing a shield from a bearing is something that I've never done before.
Is the shield typically held on by a c-clip ? If not then how is it done?

Thank You
-Steve

Midway Tommy

All bearings with numbers can be replaced, you just have to decipher the # code. If you don't have a number to reference you can measure the inside, outside & depth/thickness with a digital caliper and find one online. There are a lot of bearing distributers out there.

Some bearings have removable rings holding the shield in place. If not, many, including Fred, carefully poke a small hole in the shield and pop/twist it out, clean and lube it, and reinstall it without the shield. I prefer a shield but if a bearing doesn't have a shield on one side I always install the open side towards the body to reduce the amount of dirt & grit that can contaminate the balls & race.   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

sandbar

Thank You Tommy
Great information.
I appreciate you taking the time to help me.
-Steve

Gfish

Here's a couple with the C-clips, then the shields removed. Use Allen's method with a sharp, easy to grab hook, to wedge out the c-clip. The shield usually comes out for me by first pushing down on one side of it. I try to remove both sides for a saltwater reel, so the water can go in and out, but that means more frequent re-lubing.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: sandbar on November 10, 2020, 08:44:19 PM
Hello Tommy,
I've used the hole in the block of wood method before,
but on the Sea Wonder 2070 that I just finished, the bearing
would not let go after several blows so I left it on.
Thank You
-Steve

In my opinion, the most important part of removing the bearing from the pinion, especially stubborn ones, is making sure the inner race is well supported so the ball retainer doesn't get twisted. I have been known to use a socket the exact size to support the inner race. I sometimes use a correct size washer as additional support. Make sure you have something to catch the pinion when it drops out. They can come out with authority.  ;)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

sandbar

Excellent point about the inner race Tommy. That was one of my concerns and the reason I gave up removing the bearing on the 2070. I had to drill a larger hole in my wood to facilitate the larger diameter pinion. It was a loose fit and I felt like I would damage the bearing so I stopped.
The steel washer idea is awesome. I'm going put some calipers on the pinion and see if I can find a strain hardened washer that will provide support to the inner race.
Thank You
-Steve

sandbar

I removed all the parts from the lacquer thinner bath and the bearing
came off with the first tap of the soft hammer. Then my power went out.
I'm in Central Florida and I'm assuming all the rain has dropped an old oak
tree in my area. Hurricane season is almost over.

mo65

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the bearing removal process now...congrats and enjoy restoring that reel! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~