Fall 8-d on AA

Started by sciaenops, November 10, 2020, 11:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sciaenops

Just back from another adventure aboard the American Angler, this time for the Fall Open 8-day that left on Halloween.

We started at Cortes with the fleet (and then some) but only hung for 24 hrs due to lack of conditions/bite. Lost potential jackpot bluefin at gaff...aaaargh!

Headed south and fished kelps down to Alijos Rocks for a mixed bag of yt, dorado, and WAHOO! Got my 3 skins on bait, a Dave Thomas Red Bull Special (bomb) and a gold Raider.

My bud Garett the Hoo Slayer fished 24/7 and was rewarded with 7 skins to 47# and half dozen or so bft to 45#. Keeping up with that madkid grinding for wahoo? Fahgettaboutit!

Our 21 anglers included familiar faces like Austin L. from CV and Kevin M. from Eugene (OR), as well a bunch of other regulars. We met a cool first timer Nenad "Ned" Mitrovic from Vegas, who bagged a 100# bft fishing nightime flatfalls for the 1st time.  

During our travels, we came across a huge pod of porpoise, a family of sperm whales, aquarium like conditions on paddies and at the Rocks, and vistas only seen from the water.

A special shout out to Capt. Brian Kiyohara who put us in position throughout (we fished 7 of the 8 days) and entertained with his fish stories.  All that while keeping us on a smooth track – really impeccable/impressive planning on his part. Lori, and the rest of the Angler Crew (especially Josh and Nick in the galley) made for another memorable journey!

Dominick

Terrific, it looks like a successful trip.  congratulations.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

Looks like it was a lot of fun and productive too.