Jigmaster Wide Spool Options

Started by surfcasterTx, February 25, 2022, 12:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfcasterTx

Hi everyone. I've been on this site for a long time reading and learning from yall. This summer, I am planning to do my first jigmaster build. My plan is to build a 3'' wide jigmaster with all the usual goodies such as SS gears, double dog, and SS sleeves. For the frame and side plate, I'm thinking about using CC sideplates and a tiburon extra wide frame.

My question for anyone who can offer some insight is which spool I should use. I'm going to be using this reel on the Texas surf with a low mount 14ft rod and South African sliding techniques. I need to be able to cast very far to get over the shallower beaches I frequently fish.

Would the tiburon spool that comes with the extra wide kit or a extra wide Newell spool cast better?

Swami805

I don't think it makes a huge difference as long as they're both straight and true, which ever is lighter would have a small edge
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Vintage Offshore Tackle

The widest Newell Jigmaster spool is the Yellowfin Special at      2 3/4".  Newell did not make a 3" wide Jigmaster spool.

oc1

If distance is the primary concern, there are probably better options than a jigmaster.

surfcasterTx

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on February 25, 2022, 06:16:12 AM
The widest Newell Jigmaster spool is the Yellowfin Special at      2 3/4".  Newell did not make a 3" wide Jigmaster spool.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to use a tib spool.

surfcasterTx

Quote from: oc1 on February 25, 2022, 06:20:08 AM
If distance is the primary concern, there are probably better options than a jigmaster.

I have a couple reels I already use (saltiga 50, Trinidad 40) but I've read a lot about ulua guys casting Hawaiian wides extremely far. I'm very familiar with servicing jigmasters and would be able to do on the surf repairs. I think with a machined frame and bearings it would cast fine.

thorhammer

I haven't cast my wide, built with Tom's plates and Randy's Wide kit, but I have slung my other Cortez jiggy's- 500, 99, 501 widths. All sling well, and put Tom's knurled cast control knob on them, whether they are Tib framed or CC Classics. I use Corrosion X in all bearings.

John