Penn Senator 14/0 Drag Wont Stay Engaged

Started by HawaiiSharkConservation, November 11, 2020, 05:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoseCuervo

You need to take it apart before buying anything. Take pictures of each step.

RowdyW

When you back the star off all the way maybe there was enough sloop for the top eared washer to have popped out of the groove & is sitting on top edge of the main gear.

thrasher

Rowdy, I was thinking about an eared washer issue as well. No experience with big reels so I kept my mouth shut  ;D

thrasher

Without pics we are all guessing. I am looking at the schematics and your metal drag washers should be stacked keyed first then eared ending with key on top. 

JoseCuervo

Quote from: HawaiiSharkConservation on November 12, 2020, 02:15:01 AM
How would I fix that issue??

I am very much a newbie, but what about you? Have you had a Senator or similar reel apart before?

Here is a schematic of your reel. https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/117l.pdf

Do you have the proper wrench to take the handle nut (23) off after removing the handle nut lock screw (23a) ? I'd start with that, then items 24, 49, 10, 8, and 156. See if you can then get the board (us) a picture(s) of what you might see down in that area. What may be the problem is hard for the untrained eye to look for. Take several pics from different angles looking down into the reel around the gear sleeve (item 98). What comes next, comes next, based on your results.

Views like this, but closer in with more detail of what you see inside the hole under the parts you removed:

:)

We all need a thread like this these days! You can do it.

Rob

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

HawaiiSharkConservation

I fixed it! I really dissected this reel down to the drag stack, turns out I was missing a tension spring. I removed the tension spring from my other 14/0 and placed it on top of the drag stack, placed the stack cover on top, and reassembled the handle. Tested it and it works 100% . Thank you all for the help!

thorhammer

when I fix a problem for two bucks, i buy a lotto ticket....

Donnyboat

Tension springs are not very thick when compressed, you may need another beveled wash under it, good luck, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat