Test your knowledge.......mine too

Started by Maxed Out, November 14, 2020, 02:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Based primarily on the production years, I'd mostly go with Rudy and Mo's guess: the Long Beach series. Unless it's model/size specific.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Jim Fujitani

Penn Squidder????  140 with all the variants of spools, plastic (with and without the 'fins'), metals, aluminum, combined with the 146, and left/right handed???????

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Maxed Out

I think some are confused.

The 49 didn't have 17 different types of spools unless you count the plastic spool 13 times

A lot of Penn reels had these 4 types of spools thru production years...plastic,  3 piece chrome, stainless, and aluminum

The 49 is the correct answer. It had all 4 listed above and also had the vented spool. That makes 5 total
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Crow

But, the "chrome" spools came in at least 3 different 'designs", and the "plastic' spools in at least 3 different designs. I'll admit, the part numbers, say, for the "chrome" versions were all the same...but the part was designed differently. I also saw one example of the "vented" spool on ebay (didn't win it!) that was made with the center arbor 'cover" (the chunk of thin brass sheet, that has the diamond shaped holes punched into it...the 'vents"), but DIDN'T have the holes...just a solid surface. Obviously, as parts were "used up', and others made to "restock", quite a few 'design changes" showed up...some, I suppose< were to "improve" the part, and some to "cheapen" production costs. I wonder if some stuff....like these different spools designs, weren't actually made "ln- house', but ordered from another supplier ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Wompus Cat

Quote from: Maxed Out on November 14, 2020, 07:13:32 PM
I think some are confused.

The 49 didn't have 17 different types of spools unless you count the plastic spool 13 times

A lot of Penn reels had these 4 types of spools thru production years...plastic,  3 piece chrome, stainless, and aluminum

The 49 is the correct answer. It had all 4 listed above and also had the vented spool. That makes 5 total

Well there are 6 then .
The  (RARE) Collapse-able   open center spool

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Maxed Out

Well Henry, that wasn't a "production" spool, but still a neat spool. Your spool was supposed to be vented. There is a 7th 49 spool that also falls into "non production" category that also should have been a vented spool pictured here on the right. I wasn't counting this one as common spool types.

Deepennz

Hi Ted,
Your original question was 'most spool changes'. I was wrong above - on recount I can only find 11 different spools between 1939 and 1958.
I will list them....
1) The original  plastic spool without the reinforcing ribbon in the corner of the flange, and arbor, as found in 1938-1940 #49's, changed in 1940 to..
2)The plastic spool with the ribbon - 1940 - 1942.
3)The plastic spool changed in 1946 to a smoother, sculptured arbor/flange.
4)By late 1948, certainly by 1949, Penn began experimenting with a  metal spool for the #49. I believe that your #49, with that plain conventional arbor, is the first attempt.
5)The next attempt was to put a continuous metal collar around the a spool, as per that picture above from Wompus Cat.
6)Penn obviously weren't happy with just the plain collar because they then tried drilling 2 holes, every 60 degrees, around the flange, ie a total of 12 holes. I have a non numbered, late 40's reel with this pattern.
7)The next change was to settle on the 6 diamond shaped holes in the collar, circa 1949 - 1951. these are relatively easy to find.
8)In the early '50's, Penn produced the spool for the #49A - a wide, plastic spool.
9)Also in the early'50's, Penn again changed the profile of their standard plastic spool, making it seemingly stronger in the process.
10) By the mid '50's, Penn changed to the 3 piece, numbered metal spool....easy to find.
11)In the late '50's Penn started making the #49W - that wide spool 49 found without the '49A' on the headplate. This spool has a different profile than the earlier #49A.
If you want to sell me that plain arbored reel to complete my set that would reely "make my day!!"
Cheers
Martin

Wompus Cat

Gorgeous Reels Ted.
BTW I pulled the trigger on that turd I posted so it will be here in a few days to mess with .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Maxed Out

Martin, you are the top dog when it comes to the 49. I forgot about the spool with vents on the flanges.

...and every reel of mine is for sale for the right price, except the ones I use  ;)  ;)

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.