DIY line washer / dryer ideas wanted

Started by JRD, November 22, 2020, 04:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Covid shut down and a bunch of reels to service and clean line on so looking for a quicker way.  Right now I'm using bulk spools with about 100 holes drilled through.  I unspool the reel then put the bulk spool in the toilet tank for 5 days (depending on usage of course) then dry out of the sun for another 3-5 days.  I'd like to find something with more surface area that will accept a shaft 1/2  or so that can be chucked in my line winder.  The extra surface area would help cut down the rinsing and drying time. 

I used to have the Swifty washing attachment and it worked well but long ago broken and I need something I can make 5 of relatively affordable.

What are you guys using?

Maxed Out

I have a large wood antique line dryer and it works great.

Do a search on eBay for "line dryer" in "sporting goods" section and you'll see a few that might work for you
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oldmanjoe

When i wash line , i use Christmas light / extension cord winders .   Wash in soapy water then put in another bucket with fabric softener to make supple again.
    If i just want to remove line ,or flip end for end than i use line dryers .  One turn equals 1 yard  and 1 has a magnetic counter.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

alantani

a large bulk spool works fine.  water soaks through enough that you don't have to do anything fancy.  the spools i use are the 3 pound bulk spools for berkley big game!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Brewcrafter

Agree with all of the ideas above; certainly a plastic Harbor Freight extension cord winder or a Christmas Light storage reel could probably be made to work by punching more holes in the plastic.  When you described what you were looking for, I immediately flashed on craft items that my sister has at my parents home - she is VERY talented and crafty, but with textiles.  When I asked her about what i remembered seeing, she said to Google search the term "Umbrella Swift".  Not sure if that would work in your application but looks like it could do the job. - john

oc1

Dude!  Putting it in the toilet tank is genius.
-steve

JRD

Quote from: oc1 on November 23, 2020, 12:00:25 AM
Dude!  Putting it in the toilet tank is genius.
-steve

I think I got that from Alan somewhere along the way.

JRD

The bulk spools are working, and I agree on the Berkeley spools that's mainly what I have mine all have small 3/4 inch diameter holes that I run all thread through for unspooling reels with the electric drill.  Just wondering if there is a way to shorten the time. 

Right now there are two spools in the toilet and two in a small trash can with the shower hose running which flushes New water in 3-4 times a day.

Cuttyhunker

Modified hose reel, always a few on Craigs for cheap.  I used wire mesh to enlarge the arbor and get 42" per turn with this one.  It goes pretty fast by hand cranking. 
Doomed from childhood