sahara 1000FD - proper orientation for the oscillating gear and idler gear

Started by alantani, December 08, 2020, 05:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

here is a reason that i never work on spinners.  here is a close up of the oscillating gear and idler gear from a shimano sahara 1000FD.  does anyone know if this is correct?  i'm going to try shifting the oscillating gear 45 degrees and see if that works.  if anyone knows, i would love to hear from you.  supposedly this reel has never been opened before and was working fine before.  
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

nelz

Wow, a square gear, first time I've seen that!  ???  Maybe it has some sort of alignment mark like the Okuma eliptical gears?

alantani

i've fiddled with the okuma spinners before and their elliptical gears.  never could get them right.  well, rotating the oscillating gear 45 degrees work.  the reel is perfect. 

philaroman

ugh -- new stuff...  aware of this nonsense, but never played w/ it
just remember to stop, drop & roll out some photos, if I encounter it
methinks you line-up "something" w/ the 2 notches on the oval
is 2nd photo correct?  if so, please pin this
will try to find actual instructions schematic -- it's out there

alantani

was looking at this and it just didn't look right.  glad it worked out!!!! 

Gfish

If you or someone else spool some line on it, love to see how it stacks.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

I'm kind of with you, Alan. I love spinners, but that's one of the reasons I never buy or work on one newer than 2000.  :D All things considered, especially the value of time, throwing them away and buying a new one is probably cheaper in the long run.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

That's a weird one.  Those gear engineers are really something.  

There is a square gear and an eliptical gear.  The corners of the square would need to meet the long side of the elipse.  The flat side of the square would need to meet the short side (the end) of the elipse.  The gear ratio had to be a whole number (2.0:1 in this case) or it wouldn't work  

The relative speed of the shaft/axis of the square gear and the shaft/axis of the eliptical gear will change.  One speeds up as the other slows down, then vice-versa.  Four cycles per revolution of the square.

How many teeth on the main gear?
-s

philaroman

and the only purpose, is to have a tiny O-gear in 500 & 1000
my 2500FD just has one bigger round "two-tier" O-gear (no idle) and very decent line-lay
about as good as Okuma elliptical w/ no intricate re-assembly hassles

oldmanjoe

Very strange timing marks , Make `s me want to try the combinations .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Bryan Young

Quote from: alantani on December 08, 2020, 06:14:39 AM
i've fiddled with the okuma spinners before and their elliptical gears.  never could get them right.  well, rotating the oscillating gear 45 degrees work.  the reel is perfect. 
Alan, that looks right.  some reels will have an arrow head or dot on each of those gears for alignment.  Yours have multiple alignment points, all show elliptical point on one to flat side on the other.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tiddlerbasher

Now that's different. I've done plenty of Okumas with the eliptical gear, never had a problem with them. I draw the line at bait feeder and rear drag reels, I won't touch them.