Penn 9/0 drag problems

Started by GonePostal, November 15, 2020, 09:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GonePostal

Hello all. New guy here (Chris) with a question...

I bought a 9/0 off of ebay a few days ago. Good price, looks great, all that. Anyway... I yakked out a bait the other day, and when I got back to shore, I noticed a problem. It seems the drag is either locked down, or it totally loose. Meaning, I lock it down, then with just a little turn, it goes almost completely free spool. No subtle curve from 25lbs, 24, 23, 22, etc... Its more like 25lbs, turn a hair and its at 2lbs, if that.

I thought Id add a new set off drag washers to hopefully solve the problem, hence the question. I took about the stack only from the side, and instead of 5 or 7 or how many ever carbontex drag washers like are on my Squidders, there are 3 big black thick plastic thingys... Soooo... how do I upgrade this? Im not looking to super hot rod this, just get it fishing again, with modern drag washers...

Any ideas???? Id sure appreciate some help, as far as what to buy, etc... I will try to attach a pic. Im from that generation thats mystified by computers, tho :(

GonePostal

Here goes my pic, hopefully...

GonePostal

Aw, heck. I told ya I was mystified. I got the pic but posted in the wrong area. I meant to post in Penn Senator tutorials and questions. Sorry.

Wompus Cat

Don't know much about Penns BUT  you need to pull the main Gear and make sure there is a fiber washer on bottom .Plus there are three s and FIVE drag sets . Make sure you have the Washer or washers  with the tang located below the top as it will slip like crazy if too high in the stack.
Here is a schem from Smooth Drags
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Swami805

I'd bet that washer that's right under the star is flattened out from sitting around with the drag hammered down. It should be wavey not flat. Also 2nd on a drag washer stuck in the bottom of the gear. Order a set of new ht100 or carbontex washers and new metal washers and a new spring or waver washer
Do what you can with that you have where you are

GonePostal

So... There is a fiber washer in the stack. And the washer under the star is in fact wavy.

Can I just order the carbontex washers? Wouldnt I have to get a new set of metal washers as well? I guess Im asking what parts exactly to buy that will fit as far as just removing the old stack which is 3 or 4 and putting in a new 7 stack...???

Edit. Oops. I didnt read the above post carefully enoigh. I think I understand now...

RowdyW

Order a full set of CF washers from Mystic. It will contain 5 CF washers, 2 eared metal washers, & 3 keyed metal washers. Also order the fiber washer that goes under the main gear. The washers you have now are asbestos which is not good for your health. Get rid of them. They are probably sticky, that's why you drags are erradic. Don't forget to order a little Cal's drag grease to coat the new drags. Do the job right & remove the plates & screws to grease & service everything with marine grease.     Rudy

GonePostal

Thanks for all the help! Just to be clear... the 5 carbontex washer, 1 spacer, then the set pf 5 metal washers on Mystic Parts is what I need to relace the drag stack in this Penn Senator I have correct???

RowdyW

It all comes together in a set except the spacer, # 6-114HSP from Mystic. The under main gear fiber washer is seperate. What spacer are you asking about? If you mean the ring with the felt washer it is obsolete. From your photos it seems that you still have one asbestos washer still in the main gear. Your layout of the drag assembly is correct.

Donnyboat

Hi Chris, regardless of what drag washers you use, your pic of the washers you have lade out, are in the wrong order, you should have a delrin or CF washer, under the main gear, the a washer inside the main gear, then a beveled washer, then another washer then a eared washer, then a drag washer, then another beveled washer, I am not sure if you have a felt washer there with a top hat, if your felt washer is good use it or cut out another one, or use leather, its only to keep the dust & water spray out, good luck, carbon fibre washers are the best, with cals grease, on the washer as Rudy said, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Also Chris, when you place it back together, make sure the eared washer stays in the grooves, of the main gear, or your drag wont work, after I put my drag stack together, I place a lacky band over it, that keeps the eared wash in the grooves, hope this helps, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

RowdyW

Don, it has outside accessable drags so it is easy to check on assembly. A hard fiber washer goes under the main gear, not a CF washer.

GonePostal

I ordered 6-114HSD. It comes with 5 washers and a spacer... thats what I was referring to...

I also bought 7C-114HSD which are the suggested metal washers...

I hope I got all the right stuff. I think I do from what I gather...

RowdyW

That's the Smoothdrag drags. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. The only real difference is the metal washers are ground flat & Penn washers are punched out. Either set is carbon fiber. I've never noticed much difference between them. The big difference would be if you went for Bryan's 7+1 setup. Then you would pull at least 10# more drag which is about all the usual person can hold for very long especially when you are digging your heels in the sand.

Tiddlerbasher

Hopefully this wont confuse but - may I suggest a delrin washer under the main gear (instead of a fibre one) it will make the drag smoother. If you can fit another on top of the stack try it.