Penn 9/0 drag problems

Started by GonePostal, November 15, 2020, 09:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Just had a problem with my xn6/0. Strip, clean, re-lube, reassemble. Then too much friction when cranking in gear and handle won't turn eaisly when in free-spool.

Looked at main gear and noticed that the first eared washer was probably bottoming out in the groves under drag torque without exerting full perssure on the bottom 3 washers(c-tex, keyed metal, c-tex, this is a Bryan Young 7 stack modded drag). This can be an issue with main gears that don't have groves, that go alla way to the bottom.

Problem solved by doubling-up 2 c-tex under that first eared metal washer to raise it 1mm, or so. But still can't understand how that'ed solve those issues. It seemed like the problem shoulda been drag washer rub against the side-plate...?!? And the drag stack should be even taller now with more rub than before, instead of less...?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

Gfish it also works to replace the bottom keyed washer with a thicker keyed washer from your original set of washers & use that thin keyed washer on top if needed for height adjustment.

GonePostal

Wow! Thanks for all the help. I feel like I really understand what all Im doing now...

When the new drag/washers arrive I will post an update.

mo65

I think one of the best things a person can do when new to reel servicing, is go to Mystic Reel Parts and study the drag stack photos and schematics. All star drag systems operate basically the same...by alternating fiber washers and metal washers...and once you understand the concept you can figure out just about any drag related problem. Good luck on your 9/0! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Got it Rudy. Yeah, a thicker keyed-metal would be better than 2 c-tex washers stacked together.

Sorry about the partial thread-jack GonePostal, but I thought it might be relavent. Lookin forward to your seeing your new set-up. Don's suggestion about securing the drag washers onto the gear sleeve with "a lacky band" before installing the bridge-plate assembly works well for me. Love that down-under talk, a lacky band is a new one for me.

Odd problem, that. The spool spun like a top in free spool, but the handle would barely turn. But it got solved. Musta been the top-most washer rubbing on the side-plate.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

A lackey band isn't neccessary if you get Tom's (Cortez) new bridge tools for fine & coarse Jigmaster type sleeves & 113h sleeves. The tight turning of your handle was probably the top eared washer tangs on top of the main gear. Sometimes the rubber band doesn't hold the pack together tight enough. I've used O rings in the past.

Tiddlerbasher

GonePostal

Okay... I got it all put back together with the new metal and cf washers, 10 in total. It appears to be working great.

But... I have 1 piece left over :( Its the thin cf washer. I cant exactly see where it goes. Keep in mind I just changed out the drag stack from the side access. I did not take the entire side plate off so I did not see the main gear, which is where the thin (thinnest) washer goes...

Or, have I done something wrong??

Swami805

I think it goes between the bottom of the main gear and gear sleeve, you need to take out the original first, be to tall if you don't.  You could just leave the original in the as long as it's not torn up.
Do what you can with that you have where you are