Petty rant re: amazon

Started by JasonGotaProblem, December 12, 2020, 04:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

So I deleted my thread about USPS. It just seemed excessively negative on what is otherwise a very positive forum. I was going to do the same here, but there have been some very thoughtful replies.

In response here, my main complaint with Amazon is the search algorithm. I still buy some stuff on there and some on eBay. I have my complaints there too. Same for walmart. I feel like if we all went to only doing business with the entities we agree with all of the time, we'd be forced to very rapidly return to the concept of self sufficiency. And i don't wanna learn how to make my own reels and other tackle from scratch so to me there is no point of clawing for some moral high ground. I speak of course only for myself. We all decide for ourselves what battles are worth fighting.

But I do legitimately get super frustrated with Amazon's search algorithm, sometimes to the point of getting off my @$$ and driving to the store.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

That is too bad you deleted the thread about the USPS —

It also had quite a few thoughtful replies to your initial statements — and quite a few members took the time and effort to answer your legitimate questions...

The information is useful whether or not you agree with it — and other members may find answers that will help them.

So I don't find that fair —

Just my opinion.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: foakes on December 18, 2020, 03:13:37 AM

It also had quite a few thoughtful replies to your initial statements — and quite a few members took the time and effort to answer your legitimate questions...

The information is useful whether or not you agree with it — and other members may find answers that will help them.

Just my opinion.

Best, Fred
Dang it, you're absolutely right. I thought I was doing the right thing, And now I regret it.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Naw, not a thing, deleting that thread. Enough people responded and read it, I'll bet. Yup I'ma gonna stick with eBay & USPS.
We're getting a Target store here in the old K-mart building, soon I hope. Competition with Walmart and Costco is a crap-shoot here. Ha!, as soon as the K-mart shut down, all the Ace Hardware stores started selling fishing tackle and it's at a premium price. Since I've been here we've lost K.m., Sears and Sports Authority.
Actually holding a product in your hands is a much better shopping experience than online ordering.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Gfish

Probably based on this thread, my "friends" from Utube and Apple suggested a documentary for me the other night: PBS Frontline; "Amazon, ______". It was a good look at the company history, business tactics and the leadership.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Rancanfish

I'm thankful I was able to afford a new Chromebook so I can even go online to listen to your guys rants and brags. I walked in and bought it after on line research.  I was stuck using an old pc.

I can now look at real estate to see where I may end up, post stuff for sale, and shop for any and everything.

I always say thanks to my drivers and postman, that is how I was taught.

It's easy to get frustrated with all that's going on in the world,  to say nothing of the bomb dropped into my personal life.  My response?  I mourned for what was for a couple days, then started my plan for the new life.  I was given a shop full of woodworking tools and I'm going to play with all of them.

As far as retired, well yesterday I helped a young fishing buddy shoot under some sidewalks and add drainage piping to his future boat parking area. Today I'm working on repainting my Johnson 70hp.  After wasting the season looking for a decent used motor I decided to run it until it wears out.  I missed out on just about everything this year.

Retirement to me means I have the time to do what I want,  but don't need to stress about whether I get done or not.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on December 18, 2020, 03:13:37 AM

Just my opinion.

Best, Fred

I agree.

I knew someone could delete their own post but I didn't know they could delete an entire thread after it had replies  ??? , I thought only moderators could delete topics & threads. I view it sort of like the seller on eBay that ends a listing after it already has bids. Kind of disingenuous to those who have taken the time to respond.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

philaroman

Delete Topic option comes straight from Simple Machines, rather than Alan/Mods -- correct?

there should be more than the standard "are you sure"  warning...   some additional "X Replies" threshold,

where there's an extra warning, or deletion is an automated request to Mod, rather than quick/easy/final

Gobi King

Nothing is ever "deleted" on the interweb :-)

We are all adults here and are good neighbors. But we are also human, it is good to vent, that's all it is, not person attacks if you work for amazon or dell or simple machines forum  ;D

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

philaroman

Oh, back to Amazon: living in a densely populated area corner house,
I really, REALLY appreciate that "tuberculosis rasp" reverse warning the Prime trucks use
less annoying, locally effective & doesn't carry like old-school beeping...  discuss  ;D