DQ line lay

Started by Milan S, April 10, 2020, 10:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

After thinking a bit more on the original question by Milan.

First off I dont think any of the models mentioned will do badly at what your asking about after the bail & associated parts are in alignment.

However of all Quick reels the 01 models have the easiest to adjust & possibly the best line lay of the DAM Quick reels using this

The 01models took what I believe started with the Finessa 285 model to its highest level of refinement... Jeff

philaroman

is line-lay/oscillation same for all 4-digit models?

any significant changes from 00's to 01's to 02's ?

Rivverrat

I dont have an answer for that.
Would not surprise me if the first 3 models with spool skirts were the same in this regard.

Could someone tell me if the 00 models have spool disk that adjust the spool on
its cross pin ?

It's a shame these designs cant be reproduced today at reasonable cost... Jeff

foakes

Quote from: Rivverrat on April 15, 2020, 03:15:26 AM
I dont have an answer for that.
Would not surprise me if the first 3 models with spool skirts were the same in this regard.
'01 & '02 are the same for line lay -- adjustable arbor -- dead simple.

Could someone tell me if the 00 models have spool disk that adjust the spool on
its cross pin ?  '00's do not have the adjustable spool arbors for line lay preferences.

It's a shame these designs cant be reproduced today at reasonable cost... Jeff
They could be, Jeff...However, we need to realize -- that compared to some of the top quality spinning reels of today (Penn, Accurate, Shimano, and others) -- if produced today, these reels would likely have to be in the $300 to $400 range.  And that would be "reasonable" for what you would be getting in quality.  And, that is what makes these old Quicks such a great bargain today -- if you just take one and restore it to original -- it will give you decades of effective angling -- and probably outlast us.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Milan S

Jeff,
Thank you for your direct response and helpful advice.

I thought the answers would go in the direction of higer gear ratio.
I also thought that someone would give answers regarding the mechanism for oscillation of the spool.

The oscillation mechanism is totally different on the 285 and 330 or 330N models.

My questions were about mehansm for spool oscilation and about gear ratio but my knowledge of English might be worse than the question requires.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Milan S on April 15, 2020, 10:32:59 AM

.....The oscillation mechanism is totally different on the 285 and 330 or 330N models.....

Milan, I may not be entirely understanding..

The oscillation design  in the reels you mention are based on the same design with minor differences.

Heres a picture of a 331 & a 220N. These reels are different in this area. Is this by chance what your talking about... Jeff

Milan S

Rivverrat,
Oh, noooo.

I mean the connection between main shaft, slide cam and main gear.
Some connections between slide cam and main shaft are rigid and some are rotary type.
Also, the links between slide cam and main gear are different: rotary tipe or slider type cross groove.

For example at DQ 330n everything is rotary (connection to main gear and connection to main shaft). DQ 331N iz faster but it has the same type of connection.

DQ 285 is different. 285 has a rigid connection between main shaft  and slide cam.
It also has a groove on the slide cam(connection to main gear)...

I meant those influences...

The question is who makes the best line lay arrangement on spool in the sense of the above: 285, 330,331, 330N or 331N?

;)

mo65

OK...now I see what Milan means. When he asked about faster reels working better he wasn't talking reel speed, he was talking oscillation speed. Some reels have the reduction gear to change oscillation speed for better line lay. It's a novel idea, but I can't say I've ever seen a huge improvement. I have reels that actually lay the line better with a common old "hoop" oscillation cam. I've never really researched it that much...maybe someone else has more experience with the issue. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oldmanjoe

I don`t know how i miss this thread , but i started to play with line lay .    The 270 and the 550 use the same spool  , the 550 has a better cross wrap than the 270 for braid line .           I did come across some thread were they were playing with S shape links to change line lay so as not let the line dig it when in heavy drag settings
    I think this is what Milan was getting at when he started this thread .   Some pictures.
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Milan S

Well done! That's it!
If such a mechanism were applied to 330N or 331N, would they then have a better line lay?
Has anyone tried it?

oldmanjoe

I believe that it will work well .  I will have to look for the threads that a couple of guys were brain storming this for different reels .
   If i am not mistaken Dam quick Royal mds 5500  , build date 1991 has this built in to it from the factory .
   When i found this picture it was on a Romanian site  .    Again  i think they are also talking about magnetic drags .
    IF this works the English translation .     http://rawaijaring.blogspot.com/2012/04/dam-quick-mds-royal-dam-3500-germany.html
    Just found this .   
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe