heavily corroded and pitted Aluminium Daiwa 400h spool, ideas?

Started by steelfish, November 20, 2020, 06:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike1010

Quote from: thorhammer on November 21, 2020, 01:08:20 AM
Compadre- get all the white nastiness out. coat it as Alan says and fish it, or sand all as smooth as you can and paint with farm implement epoxy paint. If your wife will let you cure in oven at 85C so more the better. I had a nasty 9/0 Penn spool that I did thusly- maybe it wont do every use but as the 4th 9/0 in line it will step up. Actually looks good in gloss black.

Thorhammer 

A couple of years ago, I picked up a cheap toaster oven on flea-bay new for about $11.  Very handy for baking reel parts, for whatever reason.

Mike

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 21, 2020, 03:18:08 AM
Alex, I have a NOS spool if you are interested. $20 shipped.

thanks B.Y. that sounds pretty attractive, but I would like to see what can I do for the spool on a DIY method, if I end up doing a mess I will take your spool.

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on November 21, 2020, 03:12:03 AM
You could sand that off in 20 min with 320 grit. Then another maybe 25 to get it shiny. A spool would be easy just spin it and hold the sandpaper still.

LOL, I never thought on put the spool on the drill and hold the sandpaper, that sounds 1000x faster than the way I did it before  ::)
The Baja Guy

day0ne

I have a similar problem with a spool from an original Tiagra 50 (not wide). Would love a new spool but haven't been able to find one. Wonder if the spool from a 50 A would work if I used all the parts that are different. BTW, the spools don't sand that easy.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

boon

Quote from: day0ne on November 21, 2020, 07:54:09 PM
I have a similar problem with a spool from an original Tiagra 50 (not wide). Would love a new spool but haven't been able to find one. Wonder if the spool from a 50 A would work if I used all the parts that are different. BTW, the spools don't sand that easy.

Assuming I'm looking at the correct schematic, it seems very likely to me that a 50A spool will fit into an earlier 50. The main shaft (TT 0311) is the same on both reels, which makes me think that dimensionally they should be very similar. Only other thing that might catch you out is if the interior diameter of the frame was different?

thorhammer

Quote from: mike1010 on November 21, 2020, 03:45:09 PM
Quote from: thorhammer on November 21, 2020, 01:08:20 AM
Compadre- get all the white nastiness out. coat it as Alan says and fish it, or sand all as smooth as you can and paint with farm implement epoxy paint. If your wife will let you cure in oven at 85C so more the better. I had a nasty 9/0 Penn spool that I did thusly- maybe it wont do every use but as the 4th 9/0 in line it will step up. Actually looks good in gloss black.

Thorhammer 

A couple of years ago, I picked up a cheap toaster oven on flea-bay new for about $11.  Very handy for baking reel parts, for whatever reason.

yep- that's exactly what I got.

Mike

Ron Jones

I was thinking of your issue,

If you have access to air brush or spray equipment, Cerakote would be great. Probably small enough to only need a sample size kit.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

oc1

Quote from: Ron Jones on November 22, 2020, 08:49:46 PM

If you have access to air brush or spray equipment, Cerakote would be great. Probably small enough to only need a sample size kit.
The Man

If anyone is going to order Cerakote, I'll pay for it if you buy some for me and forward it to Hawaii.  They will not ship to me directly and it's expensive stuff.
-steve

Makule

What about using car polish ceramic coatings?

Quote from: oc1 on November 23, 2020, 12:04:45 AM
Quote from: Ron Jones on November 22, 2020, 08:49:46 PM

The Man

If anyone is going to order Cerakote, I'll pay for it if you buy some for me and forward it to Hawaii.  They will not ship to me directly and it's expensive stuff.
-steve
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.