alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial heavily corroded and pitted Aluminium Daiwa 400h spool, ideas?
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
November 29, 2020, 01:49:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: heavily corroded and pitted Aluminium Daiwa 400h spool, ideas?  (Read 415 times)
mike1010
Photo Group

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 07:45:09 AM »

Compadre- get all the white nastiness out. coat it as Alan says and fish it, or sand all as smooth as you can and paint with farm implement epoxy paint. If your wife will let you cure in oven at 85C so more the better. I had a nasty 9/0 Penn spool that I did thusly- maybe it wont do every use but as the 4th 9/0 in line it will step up. Actually looks good in gloss black.

Thorhammer 

A couple of years ago, I picked up a cheap toaster oven on flea-bay new for about $11.  Very handy for baking reel parts, for whatever reason.

Mike
steelfish
the Baja Guy
Sensei

Sea of Cortez

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 09:26:09 AM »

Alex, I have a NOS spool if you are interested. $20 shipped.

thanks B.Y. that sounds pretty attractive, but I would like to see what can I do for the spool on a DIY method, if I end up doing a mess I will take your spool.

You could sand that off in 20 min with 320 grit. Then another maybe 25 to get it shiny. A spool would be easy just spin it and hold the sandpaper still.

LOL, I never thought on put the spool on the drill and hold the sandpaper, that sounds 1000x faster than the way I did it before  Roll Eyes
day0ne

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2020, 11:54:09 AM »

I have a similar problem with a spool from an original Tiagra 50 (not wide). Would love a new spool but haven't been able to find one. Wonder if the spool from a 50 A would work if I used all the parts that are different. BTW, the spools don't sand that easy.

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter
boon
Sensei

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2020, 04:19:08 PM »

I have a similar problem with a spool from an original Tiagra 50 (not wide). Would love a new spool but haven't been able to find one. Wonder if the spool from a 50 A would work if I used all the parts that are different. BTW, the spools don't sand that easy.

Assuming I'm looking at the correct schematic, it seems very likely to me that a 50A spool will fit into an earlier 50. The main shaft (TT 0311) is the same on both reels, which makes me think that dimensionally they should be very similar. Only other thing that might catch you out is if the interior diameter of the frame was different?

thorhammer
Firearms Group

"You can't drank all day if you don't start..."

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2020, 07:41:42 AM »

Compadre- get all the white nastiness out. coat it as Alan says and fish it, or sand all as smooth as you can and paint with farm implement epoxy paint. If your wife will let you cure in oven at 85C so more the better. I had a nasty 9/0 Penn spool that I did thusly- maybe it wont do every use but as the 4th 9/0 in line it will step up. Actually looks good in gloss black.

Thorhammer 

A couple of years ago, I picked up a cheap toaster oven on flea-bay new for about $11.  Very handy for baking reel parts, for whatever reason.

yep- that's exactly what I got.

Mike
Ron Jones
Firearms Group

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 12:49:46 PM »

I was thinking of your issue,

If you have access to air brush or spray equipment, Cerakote would be great. Probably small enough to only need a sample size kit.
The Man

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2020, 04:04:45 PM »

I was thinking of your issue,

If you have access to air brush or spray equipment, Cerakote would be great. Probably small enough to only need a sample size kit.
The Man

If anyone is going to order Cerakote, I'll pay for it if you buy some for me and forward it to Hawaii.  They will not ship to me directly and it's expensive stuff.
-steve
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: