Lube for Drag Washers

Started by fishyaf, May 27, 2021, 06:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishyaf

Hi ya'll,

I'm replacing the drag washers on my Shimano Stradic 2500.  Part numbers RD 9908 and RD 9911.  Bought them from the Shimano parts website and they look like felt.  Do I lubricate them with Grease, oil or nothing at all?  I have some reel butter grease and oil if either of those will work.  Thanks!

Scott

philaroman

felt gets synthetic oil
consider saving the felt for other, smaller models if you have any compatible
2500 is big enough for CF, imo

mo65

Some folks say to use grease, but just as many say oil only! I'd have to think oil would be best. Even if the lube didn't help smooth the drag, it would at least help keep the felt from sticking to the metals. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

I have always used oil on felt — with good results and performance.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

fishyaf

Quote from: philaroman on May 27, 2021, 07:22:52 PM
felt gets synthetic oil

CF = carbon fiber?

Why is CF better for larger models?

fishyaf

To be honest guys I just put it back together without oil or grease just to see how the drag performs and it is smooth...

Ruffy

Quote from: fishyaf on May 27, 2021, 10:11:11 PM
Quote from: philaroman on May 27, 2021, 07:22:52 PM
felt gets synthetic oil

CF = carbon fiber?

Why is CF better for larger models?

Smooth, strong and consistent drag. In 5000 sized models I've had the felt pilling (google "fabric pilling" and you will get an idea), which led to a lumpy and very inconsistent drag that would bind. No such issues with CF.

Talk to Dawn at smoothdrag for all your replacement needs, and welcome to the rabbit hole of upgrading fishing reels  ;D

Cheers,
Andrew

philaroman

long runs / high settings -- FELT WILL MELT (dry felt will melt SOONER/FASTER!)
CF gives you MUCH better durability & higher max -- HUGE for big-game;
not so important for tiny reels used at lowest drag settings -- OILED Shimano felt will last many years
older Stradic 2500 has comparatively huge 4000-size 6-stack w/ L/ML line capacity -- how do you use it?
if you baby it w/ 6# mono finesse, OILED felt may still be fine when reel dies of Shimano Non-Support  :(
if you commonly stress-test the reel w/ 20-30# braid, you DEFINITELY want CF!!!
if  the new, paid-for felt can be passed down to smaller/lighter reels -- more reason to get CF for the 2500

Ruffy

Quote from: philaroman on May 28, 2021, 04:16:36 AM
long runs / high settings -- FELT WILL MELT (dry felt will melt SOONER/FASTER!)
CF gives you MUCH better durability & higher max -- HUGE for big-game;
not so important for tiny reels used at lowest drag settings -- OILED Shimano felt will last many years
older Stradic 2500 has comparatively huge 4000-size 6-stack w/ L/ML line capacity -- how do you use it?
if you baby it w/ 6# mono finesse, OILED felt may still be fine when reel dies of Shimano Non-Support  :(
if you commonly stress-test the reel w/ 20-30# braid, you DEFINITELY want CF!!!
if  the new, paid-for felt can be passed down to smaller/lighter reels -- more reason to get CF for the 2500

Maybe my felt did not pill, but melted. I wish I'd gotten a photo, was a complete mess!

Andrew

Porthos

Looks like $7.50-$8.00 for a Smooth Drag Carbontex replacement set depending on the flavor of Stradic 2500. Suggest considering the upgrade for your next maintenance.