FrankenPenn

Started by JasonGotaProblem, November 21, 2020, 03:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

Ok so here's a fun one. A coworker found out I'm into older penns so he gave me his 2 broken reels, a 4500SS and a 440SSg, saying maybe i could use them for parts. And I guess i did, sort of. By that i mean I combined them into one working reel. And along the way discovered a couple oddities.

He had told me his dad had worked on the reels a bit. His dad also used to work with me before he retired. Great guy, but an odd fellow. So i knew i was in for something equally odd.

The peg that the crosswind gear rolls on had broken off (graphite reels  >:( ) so he drilled it out and put a bolt there. It works. Also even though it's the newer style body with the c clip and friction ring AR, it has the old style dog and ratchet. But somehow it works just fine. Also the post that the bottom of the pinion rests on snapped off as well. But with the rotor nut tightened down all the way this appears to have no effect on operation.

From the 440SSg I stole the bail assembly because the line roller was badly corroded on the 4500 and the SSg has roller bearings  ;D. I had to modify the non line roller end to work on the 4500SS rotor I still need to clean it up a bit. I also intend to steal the gold handle from the 440SSg when I get around to switching the collars so it fits. Oh and i deleted the eccentric because I have no plans to turn off the AR.

And don't be surprised if in the future this gets a sprung dog and a ratchet with more teeth.

No way in hell this could have happened with a shimano.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

philaroman

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on November 21, 2020, 03:56:32 PM

what do you mean by "this"?

have plenty shimano's that combine 3-4 models w/ Okuma parts in the mix

trying to upgrade a tiny pocket Spirex 500 to 4BB & a 6-stack,
has turned it into ShimanOkumAbu Insanity 500F,
that will need Pflueger felt + eared washer...

sometimes, things just fit...    ;D ;D ;D

JasonGotaProblem

Quote from: philaroman on November 21, 2020, 04:36:22 PM
Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on November 21, 2020, 03:56:32 PM

what do you mean by "this"?

have plenty shimano's that combine 3-4 models w/ Okuma parts in the mix

trying to upgrade a tiny pocket Spirex 500 to 4BB & a 6-stack,
has turned it into ShimanOkumAbu Insanity 500F,
that will need Pflueger felt + eared washer...

sometimes, things just fit...    ;D ;D ;D
Yeah I was just trying to stir the pot a bit. There's a world of potential for combinations out there.

JasonGotaProblem

So I have not spooled this fella yet. There's A LOT of movement in the spool (both vertical and rotational), that seems like it can be traced back to a crosswind block that seems like its a bit too free to move. Seems like it just kinda flops around in there. Am i missing something? It also seems like the crosswind plate is smaller than the cutout on the spool stem so it moves EVEN MORE. I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't dedicate so much time to a seemingly busted reel but I'd like to hope its something fixable that I'm overlooking.