A Few Favorite Reels

Started by foakes, November 19, 2020, 06:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

During this tough year of 2020 — any reels I bought or traded for so far in 2020 — were just piled on a couple of shelves — for checking out and servicing when time allowed — either for myself — or prior to offering them up to members and clients.

With a backlog of servicing and restorations always hovering around 75-95 reels — and promised new builds for clients — these would come last.  Just set aside for now.

The service lineup in the batters box waiting to hit the bench has lowered to around 65 reels.  So today was a good time to take a closer look at the new inventory.

These days, I mostly specialize in quality spinners — DAM Quick, Mitchell, Penn, ABU/Zebco — from about the early 50's to the mid 80's.

However, I have also always really liked the smaller Daiwa open-faced spinners in Ultra-light or Microlite sizes.

Here are a couple of Daiwa Mini-Mites in gold, with bearings.  They are true Microlites.  Top quality tiny and tough reels.

Mount one of these on a 5' to 5.5' quality glass rod — 4 pound test — and it would be hard to find a better or more fun combo.

These were introduced around 1978 — and were made in Japan.

They have gained a well deserved following over the years.  And are a very desirable reel.  Spring loaded crank handle, metal skirted spool, (2) ball bearings, high-speed, all metal bodies and casings, attractive, and only 6.3 ounces.

If you get a chance to pick one up — you will enjoy using it.  Solid little reel that will handle fish up to 5-6 pounds easily.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Fred ,about 1  more Reel on that shelf would give the Straw and the Camel a good run .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

El Pescador

Fred!
Good morning,

Until today I have never heard of a Diawa MiniSpin reel.

Tell us more,

How does it compare and contrast to the Daiwa Gold MiniMite and the well-known, to me, 500C as Microlite Reels????

TANKS.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

foakes

Basically, they are all close to the same, Wayne —

The 500C is the smallest, then there is the 700C, and 1000C.

Typically, a Mini-Spin will have a vertical protrusion that attaches the foot to a special Daiwa rod.  I just remove these using a cutting wheel and hand filing — and refinish the foot with jewelers tools so that it is smooth and will fit any spinning rod.

Here are (2) Mini-Spins on top — with a slightly smaller 500C below them.

The stand shows a before and after adjustment (removal) to the stand connection.

The other two main differences between these reels is the gold or silver color.  Gold has (2) ball bearings.  The silvers have brass bushings.  Since the sizes for the bearings and bushings are identical — one could just replace the bushings with bearing — and have a much more robust silver Microlite reel.

Generally, the Daiwa reels with the attachments poking up from the stand — were offered in black plastic travel cases which included a 4 piece rod and a few lures.  The reels were excellent — the rods were between average and junk.

All great reels — and will become even scarcer than they are now — because they fish well, appreciate in value, and are simple and strong.

Daiwa has, and still does — offer so many reel models, as well as variations on each model — that it will make one dizzy.

These are excellent for backpacking — although I still prefer a DQ, Cardinal 3, Mitchell 308/408, or a Penn 716 or 420SS.

The Daiwa are like Dominick compared to the average person — better looking!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

El Pescador

Fred,

Thank you for your analysis of the Daiwa Microlite reels,  I will print to .pdf and keep a copy in my Diawa file with your photos as well.   

Great reference information.

Wayne

Ron Jones

I have my grandfathers 500c. Every now and then it catches a trout or a yellow perch. I wasn't aware of the bearing upgrade, I'll look into it.
Thanks Fred
Ronald Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Quote from: El Pescador on November 19, 2020, 05:36:45 PM
Fred,

Thank you for your analysis of the Daiwa Microlite reels,  I will print to .pdf and keep a copy in my Diawa file with your photos as well.   

Great reference information.

Wayne

Yeah!  Especially about the Dominick is good looking part.   :D ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

El Pescador

Quote from: Dominick on November 19, 2020, 07:09:45 PM
Quote from: El Pescador on November 19, 2020, 05:36:45 PM
Fred,
Thank you for your analysis of the Daiwa Microlite reels,  I will print to .pdf and keep a copy in my Diawa file with your photos as well.   Great reference information.
Wayne

Yeah!  Especially about the Dominick is good looking part.   :D ;D  Dominick

Interesting Dominick,

I met Dominick through a longtime friend and fishing buddy Rick, about 14 years ago.  Rick's Mother died and Dominick was handing the estate paperwork for the family.

One day Rick tells me I need to meet his attorney... He's just like me.  

And I'm thinking Tall & Handsome!!!!???  

Well, Dominick, you passed the bar at Handsome ;D ;D       -   THAT would qualify as a zinger from Sal!!!!

Wayne

Dominick

The secret is walking around and acting tall.   ;D ;D I get no respect around here.  I would have been 6'3" but I was sick for 3 years.  Baddumboom.   ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rancanfish

Ha, you guys chuckle me up at least once a day.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

philaroman

Fred,

are the better "gold-style" handles original to MiniSpin, or your upgrade?

did any older Silver 500/700  have brass bushes, rather than nylon?

was there ever a metal 800/850?  (pretty sure there were graphite ones)

thanks

foakes

Quote from: philaroman on November 20, 2020, 05:14:46 AM
Fred,

are the better "gold-style" handles original to MiniSpin, or your upgrade?

They came standard on a few of the small Daiwa from that era.  And for most of that era, the Daiwa Microlites would easily interchange handles.

did any older Silver 500/700  have brass bushes, rather than nylon?  Yes, nylon came later.  The Silvers have a brass bushing.

was there ever a metal 800/850?  (pretty sure there were graphite ones)

Don't think so, but could be wrong.  500C, 700C, 1000C.  Then Mini-Spins and Mini-Mites.  Later came the 70X, and others.

thanks

Plus, actually the HD brass bushings are in many ways superior to the bearings.  Strong, less to wear out, easier to clean and burnish, less expensive to maintain and replace, less finicky, etc..

Look at some of the brass bushings on Penn or other older Conventionals — after 60 years they just need a cleaning and a few drops of oil.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.