Okuma Cortez CZ-10CS and Carbontex drag washers?

Started by Sven Golly, November 23, 2020, 11:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sven Golly

Hope this isn't a double post because I don't see my original one on this subject. Are they being held for moderation?

Last fishing trip I got into some very feisty skippies that really pushed the drag limit on this reel. So I started wondering about whether a carbontex upgrade would be worth doing. I can only find ONE seller of washer kits for the Okuma CZ-10CS. They are on eBay as hprBearings. The kit sells for $20 + $4 shipping + $1.40 sales tax. Link below. Has anyone done this to their reel? Is it worth it? I like my Cortez because it casts well for the type of reel. Has anyone dealt with HPRBearings? I checked on SmoothDrag and they don't carry anything for Okuma period.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Okuma-carbontex-drag-CORTEZ-CZ-10CS-CZ-12CS-CZ-10CSa-CZ-12CSa/122031635548
Gear by Okuma, Daiwa, Stroker, Shimano and a Chinese knock-off.

JasonGotaProblem

I have HPR bearings in one of my reels. They seem just fine. Also consider measuring them. It could be a common size. Or more accurately  same size as those for a more common reel.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Porthos

Quote from: Sven Golly on November 23, 2020, 11:35:48 PM
...I checked on SmoothDrag and they don't carry anything for Okuma period...
Since you are considering a kit, you've probably already disassembled the CZ-10CS...should get the washers' I.D., O.D., and thickness. Okuma marketing print says "Multi-disc Carbonite drag system" for the CZ-10CS. Okuma factory drag stacks have been known to have mixed washers regardless of what marketing said...were so on all my Catalinas.

If it is a mix, the non-CF ones can be replaced with FACTORY CF from Okuma. Can call them up once you've ID what's in the reel. On the chance that they are already ALL CF, then they only need to be greased with Cal's and you're good to go.

OR...

You can also call Dawn up at SmoothDrag if Okuma doesn't come through. It's likely she can do something for you.

boon

If it has a proper "Carbonite" drag it's basically the same stuff as Carbontex anyway... as long as all the washers are the same material, as mentioned. Probably why there isn't an aftermarket washer for them.

If they're all carbon already, give it a lick of Cal's, button it up and go fish it :)

Brewcrafter

Also keep in mind that just because Dawn at Smoothdrag doesn't list a "kit" for a particular reel, she offers many Carbontex in multiple sizes; you basically just need to know your ID and OD and she may very well already have the washers.  After all you are not going to see "Pflueger Bond" listed but I was able to put one together using just off the shelf washers she had available. - john

skneip49

Same reel, different question. Seems like a big difference in free spool between this one and the Tesoro 10 I also have. Going to open it up and inspect the bearings, clean and oil. Part numbers for spool bearings are different Cortez vs Tesoro

edit: As suspected, some kind of funky greasy stuff on the spindle on the right side. Fortunately enough room to stick a Q-Tip in to clean it up. I oiled it up with some BoeShield and it spins as well as my Tesoro.