Post Style Handles Play

Started by nelz, November 24, 2020, 03:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Anybody have a neat hack for reducing the handle play on these post style handles? Talking about the looseness of the hexagonal shaft that goes through the main gear.

happyhooker

Not sure. I have heard opinions that this type of handle style is the least expensive way to go for reversible handles (although I do not know that to be true necessarily).  Does least expensive = more play?

Frank

philaroman

"play" which way?  
side-to-side: prob. means main gear needs shimming
otherwise, what does the attachment screw assembly look like?
usually, 2-4 parts w/ some sort of spring washer
if that's gone, "self-loosening screw" would cause increasing play

at-the-hinge play  ???  better minds out there to fix original
for use, look for modern replacement at half the weight / twice the comfort
plenty hex options, out there -- somethin's gotta fit
start w/ Okuma -- they fit old 80's Shimano hex gears, precisely (who knows what else?)
...just have to get close enough for shaft lengths & collar diameters

Gfish

Pound the crap out of it😲!😃
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

nelz

I'm talking about the looseness of the hexagonal shaft that goes through the main gear. Most of the time, they don't fit snuggly enough, so you get handle slop, like you get with dog type anti-reverse in old school reels. (not lateral slop)

I can see how it's certainly a more economic design than screw-in handles, just wish they'd make them a bit tighter fit.

nelz

Quote from: Gfish on November 24, 2020, 07:05:00 PMPound the crap out of it😲!😃

Thanks, that was very helpful::) ::) ::)

philaroman

Quote from: nelz on November 24, 2020, 08:51:51 PM
I'm talking about the looseness of the hexagonal shaft that goes through the main gear. Most of the time, they don't fit snuggly enough, so you get handle slop, like you get with dog type anti-reverse in old school reels. (not lateral slop)

got it -- can't think of a fix, other than different gear...  BUT!, are you 100% sure that's the problem?
the wear inside gear would have to be significant all six sides/corners (or, is it bad fit from factory?)
could it be gear slop -- as in teeth getting thinner & spaces getting wider, which can resemble multi-point A/R feel
there are explanations w/ diagrams here, by people wiser than I -- will try to find...

nelz

Yes, I'm sure, it's just inherent to the design, even brand new reels do it. It's not much, but it's enough to bug me.

thrasher

Couple wraps of teflon tape? Not sure it would be a permanent fix but it would tell you if it is the hex shaft is causing the play.

philaroman

Quote from: nelz on November 24, 2020, 11:02:03 PM
Yes, I'm sure, it's just inherent to the design, even brand new reels do it. It's not much, but it's enough to bug me.

just get a Suveran handle, LOL
that's the only through-gear design I know
that spreads when tightened & picks up slop

seriously, AH write-up has good close photos & some detail that may give you ideas:
https://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/suv4.html  (scroll down)

nelz

I found some play in the handle folding joint and fixed it, but now realize there is indeed some play from the gears as well.

oc1

If the handle is self-tightening on one side, then it is self-loosening when placed on the other side.  If I understand, there has to be a locking nut of some sort.  

When that locking nut is tightened to prevent self-loosening, it creates a void and lateral slop behind itself.  If there was no void then the locking nut can not be reversed for removing the handle.

You could try wrapping a piece of string in that void.  The string must be removed before removing the handle.
-steve

nelz

Thanks Steve. The remaining looseness is just due to the play caused by the meshing of the gear teeth. The gears are a bit worn too.