Spooling around , 220, 330, 440 ,550 and 270 spools .

Started by oldmanjoe, December 01, 2020, 01:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

Quote from: foakes on September 22, 2021, 03:36:01 PM
That is really some outstanding work and skill, Joe!

Best, Fred
I just wish some body with cnc lathe would show up , they could pop them out quick .                                                                                             

Quote from: Wompus Cat on September 22, 2021, 04:28:03 PM
i am impressed with your updated Equipment .
Much Fancier than your other Rig ::)

Rough Neck Lathe

I wounder how many jaws dropped with that picture ?
Quote from: thorhammer on September 22, 2021, 04:54:36 PM
Joe, that's some great work- so great, I'd collectively send the spools to be anodized. True boutique level custom righ there. Of course clear/ silver looks stock, but dang, a red one would pop....and highight your work.

John
Still in the test trials , prototypes  don`t get pretty ..........
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

steelfish

The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Steelyfinn on September 22, 2021, 06:10:54 PM
Joe,
Really great work- love seeing such innovation on the old Quicks and your other projects.  Now if you just start making metal spools for the 220...

Jon
OK challenge accepted..............    Spool for 220 and 221 .
   But i am not going to build one from scratch , more like a retro fit of a already made spool.
   My choice is a penn 712z spool to use , and use all of it , drag stack and the plastic clicker finger .

The penn spool is going to need a little trimming .    The quick spool is 2.175 inches diameter and the penn is 2.235 inches diameter .
       The penn bore is going to need a bushing so that the quick axle assembly fits snug .     This is a stock item brass tube made by K&S # 8134 ,it is
  11/32 diameter , a 5/16 bolt about 2 1/2 inches long  a few washers  and a nut .   There is 2   3/8 nuts used for spacers
     Pictures will do most of the talking
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

Ok there is a hole in the bottom of the spool that need a little attention .   This is were a 5/16 flat washer will be used .  Now with that said it will help that you have a selection of different brands washers because they vary in size standards . Metric washer may help also .
  Picture will explain were i am going with this .  The hole is tapered so washer will stop at different places .  If the washer is below flush by 20-30 thousands or closer ,i think that is a good start with when you shimming for line lay latter on .
    These  pictures shows 2 washers that fit differently , were as one has a little more diameter than the other and is stacked to get near flush

oldmanjoe

I chucked this spool on the lathe and removed the .060 in diameter .
    But there could be another way ..............

oldmanjoe

When you are ready to assembly check your bottom friction and shim , flush or higher to start .   Install axle and start testing....

foakes

Nice job showing us, Joe —

You are very talented as well as innovative — you think out of the box.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Steelyfinn

Joe,

Excellent job using a new approach for the 220 spool.  I really admire your creativity - its inspiring.
Thanks for the great new ideas.

Challenge met and exceeded with flying colors.

Jon

oldmanjoe

Well I just came back to this 440 spool project, I had the mother spool of line still hanging on with about 150 yard left on the spool .      Kept looking at the line lay and still though there was room for improvement

As of now my spool is  .070 thick in the floor , were as the stock plastic spool is .100 .
What that means is that my spool is going down .030 deeper in the rotor .
Yet looking at the pictures , I see that the top of the line lay could go up more and I could get rid of the bottom bulge .

I have a .020 friction between spool and click gear , so I removed the friction  and stripped and rewound the spool again .     What a improvement that made , and it ate up the the rest of the line on the mother spool .

Ok another .020 needs to come off the bottom of the spool .    I am a little hesitant about cutting a full width 20 thousands .   I could do a counter bore for just the width of the friction / click gear .     I have  this idea that I may put that click paw and spring assembly on also .     That pin has a .100 leg , so a .050 floor is not in my favor . So now I am thinking shimming the rotor up would do the same thing .   I remove the rotor and looking at the main bearing retainer , wavy  spring and shim .       I'm  thinking how thick is the shim and spring .   It's .020  combined , now I removed the main bearing and put the spring and shim in the well first followed by the main bearing and retainer , that will put the rotor 20 thousands higher .

Reassemble everything , stripped the spool again and cranked the line on under a load  . 
648 yards of 20 pound braid on and i think it looks good .

PacRat

What an improvement! Nice work.

Milan S

Congratulations!
That's it. Don't touch further because it can't get any better.

oldmanjoe

;D  Well that remains to be seen , i think there is room for improvement .     I just have to put it threw it`s paces first .

mo65

Very interesting...enjoy seeing your work Joe! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oldmanjoe

I was going thru some reels and found a split spool on my 550 that had mono and stock drags .
 The last time i used it , I did give it a good work out on big Amber jacks and nurse sharks .
    I most likely left the mono wrapped to tight on the spool and after loosing the drag , jacked the spool apart .

I decided to try putting a big drag disk in place of the click gear with a big cork washer .

I used a spool that just has a single drag washer on top to start with .  Just spooling around again

foakes

Great work, Joe!

If you need another spool —- just let me know.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.