Spooling around , 220, 330, 440 ,550 and 270 spools .

Started by oldmanjoe, December 01, 2020, 01:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

I was looking at the 270 spool ,  the one with 6 screws and the little key washer on top .     After taking it apart i decided to make a new center section .
    I wanted to make it were i can put drag washers and frictions in it .   That started the thought process of what to do with the top of the spool , do i cut it ,or make a new
     one also.     

I decided to make that also , that way i didn`t have a button to get in the way.   It will give me a lot of room to increase drag washer diameter .

After playing with it some how i made the bottom plate also .   Yep a complete new spool now

Time to make drag washers  .    Stainless steel fender washers was the stock to start with ,   .030 thousandths thick , 1 inch width
         Made 6 of each keyed and eared . 

Yep all those washers fit in there 9 steel and 9 fiber ,  .580 stacked height well is .610 depth .   I used old frictions for test fit , they are about .025 each .
         i will use .50 and some .70 mm sheets to make the rite size washers.

Size conparsion of the washers  Small , standard and super size .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thrasher

mark Hill

"Sell a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man how to fish, and he will start collecting and refurbishing old reels"

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

Am I gettin' this straight?  You made a whole new spool for this reel?  Did it in a way that increased the drag size?  I find that way better than McGiver--way better.  Extremely impressive.  Looks like all aluminum body.

Frank

Swami805

Nice work, very impressive!  That will be a beast of a reel.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

oc1

Dang Joe.  That is really something.  Excellent work.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Wompus Cat

Absolutely beautiful work sir .
You did not make those using a vise and Flat Bastard File did ya?
Like to see the machine set-up you have .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oldmanjoe

I keep it simple , just keep a spare battery on charge .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Wompus Cat

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

mhc

Well done, there's a lot of hand work there - the washers alone would have been a lot of filing.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

oldmanjoe

;D      OK i  ;Do have a turn of the century Seneca falls lathe ..

A simple jig to hold the washers and a few cuts with a scroll saw to make the tongue washer , with a needle file clean up..
   Block of wood with a hole and 2 sheet screws .

The ear washers i just stack on a bolt and nut and rough cut on a bench grinder   .

Another spool in the rough .