Spooling around , 220, 330, 440 ,550 and 270 spools .

Started by oldmanjoe, December 01, 2020, 01:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

I like the drag you did under the spool and copied it .   Still working on making it fit under the stock bail assembly .
I still like oil lite bushings in the spool .
 As of now i am playing with cork , gasket material .     The problem with cork is that it is so thick .065 -  1.65mm  .    Takes up valuable space were carbon fiber will be easy to fit on a already tall spool  .    It takes  time to fine tune home made parts. ;D
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

With the idea of making a bigger spool to help with the hour glass effect , i went back to the stock spool configuration and though how to make the reel think the spool was taller .     Change the oscillating stroke !    I moved the crank pin closer to center by .070 .  The first 2 picture is the stock stroke with the hour glass .   The 3 picture is the first try spooling with a gess at shims .     i see a improvement      4 picture is the  gear .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Milan S

You can replace the cork with a thinner sheet of carbontex, but then you need to add a thin stainless steel pad under the spool and fix it (you can use epoxy glue, resistant to high temperatures).
My choice was cork because it is easy to obtain and I am convinced that it has better characteristics than carbontex for my needs.

The solution with moving the pin on the main gear is the only possible solution and you did a great job!

Once upon a time I had the idea to add a ball bearing to that pin but it's a long story...

The only thing I would do now on the 330N and 331N is to achieve silent braking on the rotor. It requires good planning and a little more experimentation. Of course, I do not intend to insert one-way bearing. I'll try something else ...
Think about it and let's come to a solution together!

oldmanjoe

Spun another spool from billet for a 331n model  ,all one piece with a bottom plate for a large cork drag washer and a small cork top drag washer .
    Just another combination to try out !!

Milan S

I believe, a winning combination!

oldmanjoe

Back at it again , I needed a spool for a 440 . I pretty much duplicated a plastic spool .
  I did stretched the length another  .060 for braid .

mo65

That is just plain awesome Joe! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oldmanjoe

Quote from: mo65 on September 21, 2021, 01:54:49 PM
That is just plain awesome Joe! 8)
Thank You

I was able to finish up the spool today .  made a few adjustment to get line lay and kept the drags simple   

Milan S

Good work! Consider a larger carbontex washer ...
Carbontex knows that it consumes a little more friction surfaces. When it is saturated with aluminum (and this can happen quickly due to the softness of the aluminum) it can change its characteristics. That's why my choice was cork.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Milan S on September 22, 2021, 01:27:44 PM
Good work! Consider a larger carbontex washer ...
Carbontex knows that it consumes a little more friction surfaces. When it is saturated with aluminum (and this can happen quickly due to the softness of the aluminum) it can change its characteristics. That's why my choice was cork.
I was thinking about that .   I went with the idea that the clicker only has less than 1 square inch of surface area and i wanted to try this new carbon fiber out .   IT is not as flexible as what i have used in the past and feels slicker .   I am trying this material dry .      First test looks good !!!!

foakes

That is really some outstanding work and skill, Joe!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

i am impressed with your updated Equipment .
Much Fancier than your other Rig ::)

Rough Neck Lathe

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

thorhammer

Joe, that's some great work- so great, I'd collectively send the spools to be anodized. True boutique level custom righ there. Of course clear/ silver looks stock, but dang, a red one would pop....and highight your work.

John

Steelyfinn

Joe,
Really great work- love seeing such innovation on the old Quicks and your other projects.  Now if you just start making metal spools for the 220...

Jon

oldmanjoe

:)  Just up loaded a video ,  The drag is around 5-6 pounds on a solid fiber glass stick , the load and unload is the stick with a smooth drag done with 2 pulls .