Jason warped my brain

Started by oc1, December 01, 2020, 09:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Greg, you call that kissing?  My grandmother gave me more tongue than that.   ::)  :o  ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

philaroman

Quote from: Dominick on December 02, 2020, 12:39:46 AM
Greg, you call that kissing?  My grandmother gave me more tongue than that.   ::)  :o  ;D  Dominick

yeah, but I'm seein' left hand on cloaca & fish O-face  :o

if there was kissing, there'd be shotgun & Preacher EDIT: spear-gun & Captain

JasonGotaProblem

Polishing a reel is not for the faint of heart. You really gotta want it. However if i were to paint one of my shiners, dollars to donuts, it would not look like an old reel that's been painted. Of that I am certain.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Benni3

Because of EPA,,, ??? You can't buy good primer over the counter,,,,, >:( but thanks to ebay,,,,, ;) U-POL products works like "acid 8" but a little expensive I think$15to$20 with free shipping fair,,,,,, ;D

oc1

Quote from: JasonGotaPenn on December 04, 2020, 04:31:42 PM
if i were to paint one of my shiners, dollars to donuts, it would not look like an old reel that's been painted. Of that I am certain.

I'm sure that its true so please let me rephrase: If I try to paint an old reel it will look like an old reel that I tried to paint.   I learned that as a kid but have to re-learn it every few decades.  I never was any good at sanding, surface prep and all that stuff.  You or Fred would surely do much better.

I am interested in the whole concept of drilling the gear case and embracing the fact there is seawater flowing in and out of the reel.  The more drainage the better.  With the gear case drilled and cut it is easy to inspect and squirt some oil on vulnerable parts to protect them.  A full breakdown is seldom (maybe never) needed.  Soon it will be two years since I did anything except squirt oil my go-to reel.  It gets drenched in saltwater every time it is used and drenched in freshwater when it rains. 
-steve

oc1

Quote from: Benni3 on December 04, 2020, 08:48:49 PM
Because of EPA,,, ??? You can't buy good primer over the counter,,,,, >:( but thanks to ebay,,,,, ;) U-POL products works like "acid 8" but a little expensive I think$15to$20 with free shipping fair,,,,,, ;D
I don't know what acid 8 is.  Your jeweler friend will have "pickling" powder or solution.  I think it is just an acid and it etches the surface.  Just like vinegar dissolving aluminum reel parts if left in there a few days.  The etched surface should take paint better because the metal does not have that thin protective layer of oxidation on the surface.  I don't know stuff about paint though.

Benni3

Quote from: oc1 on December 05, 2020, 12:19:03 AM
I don't know what acid 8 is.  Your jeweler friend will have "pickling" powder or solution.  I think it is just an acid and it etches the surface.  Just like vinegar dissolving aluminum reel parts if left in there a few days.  The etched surface should take paint better because the metal does not have that thin protective layer of oxidation on the surface.  I don't know stuff about paint though.
Yes sir,,,the U-pol spray can products are the best I have found,,,,,, ;) most primers now are not waterproof,,, >:( and the metal will rust under it,,,, :D but you could skip the primer and use Duli-color aluminum rim spray paint works ok too,,,,,, ;D

oc1

Quote from: Benni3 on December 05, 2020, 02:16:11 AM
but you could skip the primer and use Duli-color aluminum rim spray paint works ok too,,,,,, ;D
I'll try that paint sometime too.  Here's what I used but do not recommend:
-s

MarkT

Dude, it ain't Jason that warped you!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Benni3

Quote from: oc1 on December 05, 2020, 05:15:27 AM
Quote from: Benni3 on December 05, 2020, 02:16:11 AM
but you could skip the primer and use Duli-color aluminum rim spray paint works ok too,,,,,, ;D
I'll try that paint sometime too.  Here's what I used but do not recommend:
-s

Yes most stuff you buy over the counter doesn't work,,,,,, >:( but if you can find someone that powder coats $30,,,, ;) I do paint and body work and I have been trying to find bake on porcelain paint,,,,,, ;D

oc1

Wow.  Nice looking reel!  Now, THAT'S a paint job.
-steve