7year old lexa clutch

Started by jcallaham, December 02, 2020, 10:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcallaham

1st time here. my lexa has been acting up for some time. Put it ln free spool and cast , it will try to go back into gear,loud grinding noise. then it will be fine for week or so, doesn't do it again for a while. But finally it has bit the dust. I have read about people having issues with the clutch not engaging , disengaging.Iam not sure what clutch parts to order.Looks to me like key # 30 and 31. anybody have experience with this?
I would love to just go buy the new improved lexa but then I would just have to put this reel in the junk pile. Iam getting tired of that.
thanks Jim

nelz

Welcome aboard Jim, glad to hear you're gonna fix 'um instead of trashing.

As for the problem, it doesn't sound like a roller clutch issue. When clutches go bad, the handle will fly backwards, but silently. My guess is it has some sort of gear failure, have you taken a look at the pinion gear?

Also, some part may have come loose internally and is jamming things up. If this reel has a backup dog for example, those can come apart sometimes.

Open it up, take a look, and let us know what you find...

Rancanfish

Well, the bright side is a 7 year run.  I still have a 300 & 400 I haven't got wet yet.  I love the 400 I use.

Nelz is right, you have to take it apart to find the issue.  Daiwa probably still has parts.

I'm not sure that would be called a regular 'issue', if it worked fine for so long.

Tear it down, we can help if you post pics of what you find.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Lunker Larry

If it is the Lexa 300 or 400s they have an issue with the AR pawl disengaging causing all sort of issues. I've seen them break the yoke, jam up the gears and such. Just had one where it was in perfect shape but completely disengaged from the ratchet gear, still on the post but underneath it. Also there is a little clamped brass piece on the yoke that comes off causing the pinion to grind up the nylon yoke and the little clip ends up in all sorts of places. Here's a few pictures.
A pro staff for Lexa passed on my points and pictures to Daiwa and was told that issues have been addressed in the newer Lexas. No details.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

alantani

Quote from: Lunker Larry on December 02, 2020, 04:09:20 PM
I've seen them break the yoke, jam up the gears and such.

yup.......
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rancanfish

Oh yeah, I forgot all that.  I remember seeing the pics.  Surely Daiwa has a fix that would apply for the older models.

Call Daiwa is about all I got right on this one.  8)
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

day0ne

He's not talking about the AR bearing, he's talking about the clutch that puts it in gear. It's going into gear on it's own when casting, not when the handle is turned. This sometimes happens with counter balanced handles but it doesn't wait 7 years to happen. BTW, has the Lexa even been out 7 years?
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

oc1

What they said above.  You will have to disassemble it and get intimately acquainted with how the clutch latches into freespool and is tripped back into gear to diagnose it.  You did not elaborate on "bit the dust".  Jumping into gear on its own and finally biting the dust may have been too separate issues.

Supposedly the new HD model has resolved a clutch problem.  Since Diawa acknowledges they had a clutch problem, they should have a pat answer and resolution for you when you contact them.  It should be free parts at least.  If not,.... well it's Diawa.

You should be able to save it if parts are available and reasonable.

It sounds like you have used it heavily so $30 per year of service doesn't sound too bad.  Putting it into $/hour might provide a better perspective.  I'm not sure it is possible to do better with any modern low-profile baitcaster.

-steve

jcallaham

thanks for all the replies. Right after I posted yesterday I took the whole reel down. Every part laid out on the workbench and examined for damage. I didn't find anything, at least my untrained eye didn't find anything. Put it back to together and miracle of miracles it seemed like a new reel. anti reverse, good,freespool excellent, drag good,in and out of gear good.So down to the beach and launch a 4oz weight, beautiful. so bringing that back in it started that jumping out of gear thing, I think I was lucky to get my sinker back. So back at the bench I am going back in there and closely examine every part that puts it in gear and takes it out of gear. Especialiy the pinion gear ,one or 2 bad teeth could/might be my problem. Thanks for all your help,might take awhile,but I will definitely get back with the results.

Lunker Larry

You said jumping out of gear. Do you mean when reeling it feels like it jumps a quarter turn? If so the edges are worn off the bottom of your pinion where it contacts the spool shaft pin.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Brewcrafter

Okay, my Lexa 400 has never given me grief...BUT...at Fred Hall this year (oh so long ago, pre Covid) Diawa was touting their "new" Lexa's.  My question - "What makes them new?"  Answer from the Diawa folks "Well, it's primarily a redesigned clutch...."  I asked if the parts from the new model could retrofit to the older ones, and the sales guys..".no idea".  Anyway, one of my buddies purchased a new one (not his first Lexa), but I have not been able to talk him into letting me have it for a weekend to do preventative maintenance compare to the old model and see what makes it different. - john

MarkT

I thought the main improvements in the Lexa HD's are stainless gears and better bearings.

I caught a lot of YT on my original 400 before selling it and getting the HD version. Both have caught Wahoo too with no clutch issues!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

jcallaham

Quote from: Lunker Larry on December 03, 2020, 05:56:32 PM
You said jumping out of gear. Do you mean when reeling it feels like it jumps a quarter turn? If so the edges are worn off the bottom of your pinion where it contacts the spool shaft pin.
I think you nailed it Larry. the pinion is mangled where it slides on to that pin. I have a new pinion and a few other parts on the way. For 12 bucks this reel might be good as new in a few days

jcallaham

after anxiously waiting for 4 weeks for diawa to send me a new pinion gear, the new gear solved one problem and caused another. The reel stayed in gear just fine but the noise it made while retrieving a lure made me think of a circular saw going thru a 2x4.So back to the bench. I remembered seeing a page on Ebay selling a pinion and main gear together, I found that seller and bought it. So lesson learned, you need both pieces even if only one is bad. Even when the reel was new I don't think it was this smooth.
I mistakenly thought my problem was the clutch. I use this reel surf fishing the northwest Florida beaches. Some would say this is not the best reel for what I use it for but I like it. Sometimes during a hard cast, the handle can get bumped and tell it to go back into gear while the spool is turning full speed. This has happened several times over the years. That's what mangled the pinion gear.SO now my reel feels and performs like new,I have a good understanding of what makes it tick and a little experience analyzing problems.
Lunker Larry posted pics of damage caused by the anti reverse pawl. I paid close attention to that. for my purposes I am happy with the IAR bearing,so I put that pawl back in the box instead of the reel

alantani

thanks for the follow up!  yeah, always replace the gears as a set!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!