Mitchell 302???

Started by Pier-Rat, December 27, 2011, 02:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pier-Rat

Hey Guys,

I just got an OLDSCHOOL Mitchell 302 from my neighbor (for a few days labor ;D)

I've seen some guys using it as a cobia reel out on the piers in the Panhandle.

I think I need to put some HT-100's in the reel. I've read about people doing that and I think I should do that. However, I'm kind of new to this stuff and I don't know where to buy them. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I also think an aftermarket handle is needed ;) I don't think the little plastic knob on it well hold up too well. Again... where could I get one of those???

Thank you!
-Kevin McEwen

Nessie Hunter

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

callelk

I have not worked on a 302 in 20 years but you will not need a new handle if it is the original.  The largest fish that I personally observed caught with a stock 302 is a 54 lb striper.  My dad caught it in the mid-60's.

That said, you can pick up a spare crank on eBay and a handle here from Alan if you think you need it.

For drags, measure what you need and order from Smooth Drag or MysticParts.

Go through the reel, grease it well and replace the bail spring or dump the bail for a PUM and a crosswind gear.  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

alantani

match up the drag washers to something on this list.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21.0 

if you find that the penn washers are too thick, you may have to use carbontex.  in that case, measure the drag washers and we will figure something out for you!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!