Ocean City 112 rebuild

Started by elcarlstono, December 06, 2020, 04:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elcarlstono

Yes it's the same one. I didn't, and wasn't planing, to pop it out at risk of breaking it.

steelfish

Quote from: elcarlstono on December 06, 2020, 04:18:30 PM
Hi folks, I'm almost finished with my Ocean City 112 rebuild/restore. I have 2 issues.
1. The little orange/red washer came out broken, and I'm not totally sure from where. I assume this is the fiber drag washer.  Any tips for locating a source for a new one?

I have a OC 112 reel and few years ago did a complete service to it eventho I will not use it, I like the freespool lever mechanism as well as the in-house handle nut wrench as part of the handle, pretty unique!!

for the red hard fiber washer, as my ohana guys already said, that goes under the main gear, if you happen to have some extra carbon fiber washers you can cut one to fit and will work as good, alan tani even change the hard fiber for CF washer under the main gear.
on my OC 112 I did the same cuz the hard fiber also broke while servicing.

I dont recall what size of CF I used but sometimes you have to make the ID bigger and OD smaller to meet your needs.

in mine the stock drag washers were toast so I put some HT-100 cut to size in there, the reel is ready to use but I preferred to leave it as shelf queen.
The Baja Guy

oc1

To add more drag washers you would need a different main gear.  That's the sort of reel that you could hammer the star down with a coke bottle or piece of driftwood if more drag was needed.  

The Bay City 112 was introduced in 1931 with a Koph-type clutch.  The New Synchro Mesh clutch with knock-down lever (like Dominick showed) appeared in 1935 but they still had the pear-shaped wood knob.  The "New Torpedo Shaped Handle Knob" made of Tenite appeared in 1939.  I think Mo is right (in the other thread) and there were brownish and almond knobs initially.  

I can't fid my notes about the riveted medallions on the head plate, but think they appeared just before the war and were continued into the True Temper era.  The medallion color (blue, green or white) can be used to help further date the reel.

The Bay City 112 was originally designed for thick linen line but it was still being made when linen was replaced with braided nylon and then mono.  It's big by todays standards, but at the time it was a general purpose inshore reel for weakfish, fluke, stripers, etc.

Thanks again Mike C.
-steve

Brewcrafter

Quote from: oc1 on December 12, 2020, 01:00:38 AM
To add more drag washers you would need a different main gear.  That's the sort of reel that you could hammer the star down with a coke bottle or piece of driftwood if more drag was needed. 

Brewcrafter's bucket list - there are many on this site where I would say the same but I really would be honored to go fishing with Steve, this a guy after my own heart that has "been there, done that".  Except he seems to have a propensity to kayak fish (major badass!) and I think I know enough that I don't want to look like dinner from below for an alpha predator...   - john

Wompus Cat

If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

oc1

Quote from: Brewcrafter on December 12, 2020, 02:51:07 AM
I really would be honored to go fishing with Steve,  - john
I don't take anybody fishing... ever.  That would defeat the whole purpose.  Besides, not many could keep up with me  :) :)
-s