Shimano Saros 'Dead Spot' on Retrieve

Started by ste6168, December 07, 2020, 08:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ste6168

Hi guys - Not sure how to describe this, but assuming it is fairly common.  I have a Saros, when rotating the handle, its not fully smooth and seems to get "stuck" at like 4 o'clock (if viewing from handle side of reel).  I believe this is probably due to the worm gear, or something internally being at the lowest/highest/etc. point, but not entirely sure.  Typically, I open the oil port, and a few drops of oil resolve the issue temporarily, but it always works its way back in short order. 

Does anything expereince similar issues?  Any longer-term resolution?

Gfish

Can you open-up the gear box and look at the pinion and main gears, and the ossilitation system? Maybe check for sand or grit or gear tooth damage. Not familiar with the Saros but someone else (perhaps philaroman) should be along to comment.
Oh, ste6168, welcome to the site! What's "6168" mean?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

philaroman

ditto, on MUST open gear-box & examine gears
if it's happening at same point of handle rotation & some relief from oil port,
1st & worst guess is problem also came through oil port -- sand/grit/damaged teeth

hate those big stupid holes -- Shimano's conspiracy to make reels die sooner  >:(
gears are supposed to get timely service w/ grease  8)
not oil showers w/ chance of sand & strong gusts of procrastination :o

ste6168

Quote from: philaroman on December 07, 2020, 10:07:09 PM

ditto, on MUST open gear-box & examine gears
if it's happening at same point of handle rotation & some relief from oil port,
1st & worst guess is problem also came through oil port -- sand/grit/damaged teeth

hate those big stupid holes -- Shimano's conspiracy to make reels die sooner  >:(
gears are supposed to get timely service w/ grease  8)
not oil showers w/ chance of sand & strong gusts of procrastination :o

Yeah, that is what I always figured, as well.  Oil on gears, what???   Anyway, I opened it up a few weeks ago, checked/cleaned everything, didn't see anything major, regreased gears and it has seemed to be fine since.  However, that was a few weeks ago, and due to my procrastination, I am finally getting around to coming here and asking about it. LOL.

I have only been out a couple times since, and the problem has no longer persisted.  I am just figuring that at some point, it will come back.  I guess the only way to tell at this point, is to keep fishing it!

philaroman

could be lucky...  maybe enough debris got in to interfere w/ operation, but no tooth damage