Old greenie getting it done

Started by Cuttyhunker, December 21, 2020, 03:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Great history with that old soldier there, CH —

The 700, 704, and 706 are some of the toughest HD and long-lasting reels ever produced — whether spinner or conventional.

If you would like a full restore — I would do one at no charge that would rival when you took this one out of the box when you were a pup.

It would honor a good companion — that has reliably traveled with you on too many fishing trips to recall.

When the Shimanos, Daiwas, and other more modern Asian Tupperware plastic reels have been in the landfill for decades — these Spinfishers will still be on duty.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

This thread just gets better and better Bob.  Thanks for that link.  But really, it's sort of a sad story.  May he rest in peace.  Here's Al rebuttal to the 2004 article:

https://www.stripers247.com/Alsrebuttal.php

I have some history with the 700 but mine was jinxed and never caught much.  Clunk.

Fred's been talking about his new restoration set-up.  That would be very tempting.  But, then again, yours has a lot of character.  Tough choice for sure.  Either way, best of luck wearing it out.
-steve

Cuttyhunker

Wayne,
Bunch of bass in the 30's,  the nutso bonito that way out fight a bass pound for pound, and mahi's south of the Vineyard back when there were swords on the shelf. Best was throwing an eel to a skillie, he took it, but he was gone in about a minute.

Fred,
Thank you sir for the offer, I had plans and I did pick up a nice cosmetic body and gear cover on ebay, but it still sits in the drawer.  If I swapped it out it just wouldn't be "my" reel anymore.

Steve,
See ^
Couldn't wear it out using salt water as lube, now that it's greased a century may not be long enough.

Doomed from childhood

Benni3

There's a thread on "SOL" where some locals told another story,,,,, ;) and a little debate about the 1hr and 40min fight,,,,,,,, :o it's doesn't matter which is true,,,, :D there both very good ones and hard to figure out which one is true,,,,,,, ;D

Benni3

I'm getting some more info on the this and well given it first on the zoom meeting Saturday,,,,,,, ;D

nelz

Quote from: Benni3 on December 24, 2020, 12:02:23 AM... a little debate about the 1hr and 40min fight

So much skepticism about the tackle and the "1hr and 40min fight".  ::)  It all seems very plausible to me. Heck, I landed (from shore) a 33lb striper on 10# test using a little 'ol Penn 712, from a raging inlet current no less. It was no where near that long of a fight, just took alot of running up and down the beach!

Granted, the conditions that the record fish was taken in were rough as hell, and from a jetty, but it certainly was not unrealistic to success.

Oh well, such is fishing and the tales it encompasses, be they real or fiction. Merry Christmas!

SteveL

Quote from: nelz on December 25, 2020, 05:05:24 PM
Quote from: Benni3 on December 24, 2020, 12:02:23 AM... a little debate about the 1hr and 40min fight

So much skepticism about the tackle and the "1hr and 40min fight".  ::)  It all seems very plausible to me. Heck, I landed (from shore) a 33lb striper on 10# test using a little 'ol Penn 712, from a raging inlet current no less. It was no where near that long of a fight, just took alot of running up and down the beach!

Granted, the conditions that the record fish was taken in were rough as hell, and from a jetty, but it certainly was not unrealistic to success.

Oh well, such is fishing and the tales it encompasses, be they real or fiction. Merry Christmas!

Completely plausible.  The Lake Lanier record striper weighed in at 47 pounds 12 ounces and was caught by a visiting angler fishing for bass with a spinning rod and 8 pound test line.  It was rumored at the time to be a Bill Dance combo, but I can't confirm that.

Benni3

Quote from: nelz on December 25, 2020, 05:05:24 PM

It took some time but the reel story is better and is funny no disrespect to al,,,,,,, ;) because he did it and tomorrow on zoom I will explain,,,,,,,,, ;D

Benni3

Ok so Tim Smith on sol has the penn 710 the rod was most likely a 9" shimano,,,,line 20lb green Ande ,,,,,,, :D the fish was most likely beached it self and al jumped in the water and grabbed it,,,,,  ;) but the real story will never really come to light because al and pat erdman has passed away,,,,, :( but one other thing about the story is where al pulls a gun on corky Campbell over the missing fish,,,,, :o it just doesn't get any better than that,,,,,,,,, ;D

nelz

Quote from: Benni3 on December 26, 2020, 09:16:40 PMbut one other thing about the story is where al pulls a gun on corky Campbell over the missing fish

I thought it was Campbell that drew the gun on Al? Did I misread the story? Either way, there's nothing funny about that.

Benni3

Quote from: nelz on December 26, 2020, 11:14:06 PM
Quote from: Benni3 on December 26, 2020, 09:16:40 PMbut one other thing about the story is where al pulls a gun on corky Campbell over the missing fish

I thought it was Campbell that drew the gun on Al? Did I misread the story? Either way, there's nothing funny about that.
I not that sure what happen exactly,,,,,, ??? it was in 1982,,,,hehe,,,,, :D and the part about the fish wrapped in a towel strapped to the hood and pulled over by the police thinking it was a dead body,,,,,,ya it's new Jersey,,,,, :o I want to see the movie about this,,,,,, :-\ if Chris Farley wasn't gone he could have played Al Mcreynolds,,,,,,, ;D

nelz

I'm just going by what I read in the Men's Journal article.

Benni3

Quote from: nelz on December 27, 2020, 02:28:20 AM
I'm just going by what I read in the Men's Journal article.
No disrespect to Al Mcreynolds because he caught the fish,,,,,,, ;) but what happens next was just funny like D.B. Coopers story nobody really knows exactly what happened,,,,, :-\ but Al got the money his family needed so much,,,,,,,, ;D