New board for Ocean City Reels

Started by Dominick, December 23, 2020, 11:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

I just created a new board for Ocean City Reels.  There is a lot of Ocean City information scattered throughout the site.  Hopefully over time we can move it all into this new board.  Post your comments and questions about Ocean City Reels in this board.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

foakes

There are a fair amount of "experts" on our site when it comes to Ocean City reels, Dominick —

Mike, of course — some others, and a lesser known new guy — WompusCat (Henry).

These old historical reels are actually heavier and tougher than most Penns.  The only thing that keeps them from being a still much used reel — is the availability of parts — unlike Penn.

Thanks for setting up this new category, Dominick!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Wompus Cat

Quote from: foakes on December 23, 2020, 11:45:56 PM
There are a fair amount of “experts” on our site when it comes to Ocean City reels, Dominick —

Mike, of course — some others, and a lesser known new guy — WompusCat (Henry).

These old historical reels are actually heavier and tougher than most Penns.  The only thing that keeps them from being a still much used reel — is the availability of parts — unlike Penn.

Thanks for setting up this new category, Dominick!

Best, Fred

I am hardly an eckspurt ...lol  But I have taken a few apart and occasionally put one back together that works .
Nice thought though .
This site is like 10(edit) 12 years old and glad to see Ocean City being recognized .
They are exceptionally built Reels and deserve some space me thinks.
There are a lot of similarities between Ocean City and Penn reels as well as others .
Ocean city was in business quite some time before Penn and the originator of Penn actually worked at Ocean City before opening up shop on his own .
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

1badf350

Will the older threads be moved here or should we create new ones? I think theres a bunch of OC related threads in the "Fishing antiques and collectibles" section
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

thorhammer

Dominick

Quote from: 1badf350 on December 24, 2020, 12:09:58 AM
Will the older threads be moved here or should we create new ones? I think theres a bunch of OC related threads in the "Fishing antiques and collectibles" section

Since they are all spread out, when I come across one I will move it to this board.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

happyhooker

Have never held an OC real in the flesh/metal; have learned a little from youse guys on the site & look forward to picking up more info.  First thing I want to know:  what "Ocean City" is OC reels named after--the one on NJ or MD, or...?

Frank

Bryan Young

Thank you Dominick.

I might have a few OC reels for you. I have to look to see if they are in my shed. I'll gladly gift them to you for parts that you may need. That is, unless I was dreaming and that they are actually at Alan's house then they are not mine to give.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 24, 2020, 04:20:08 PM
Thank you Dominick.

I might have a few OC reels for you. I have to look to see if they are in my shed. I'll gladly gift them to you for parts that you may need. That is, unless I was dreaming and that they are actually at Alan's house then they are not mine to give.

Look deep.  Any donations greatly appreciated.  Jimmer is sending me some parts also.  I love the Ohana.  Dominick

Dominick

Quote from: happyhooker on December 24, 2020, 02:29:27 AM
Have never held an OC real in the flesh/metal; have learned a little from youse guys on the site & look forward to picking up more info.  First thing I want to know:  what "Ocean City" is OC reels named after--the one on NJ or MD, or...?

Frank

Frank, I don't know for sure, but Philadelphia is close to Ocean City, N.J.  Dominick

happyhooker

I suppose it coulda just been someone taking a liking to the name, regardless of which city was involved.

Frank