113H Gear Sleeve

Started by Bill B, December 27, 2020, 07:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Question for the reel mechanics.....how often do you find the brass gear sleeve rounded off on the 113H?  Or do you just replace it with SS whether it needs a gear sleeve or not.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

quabbin boy 62

even though i won't call myself a reel mechanic..... i have 11 penn conventionals that are only used for fresh water trolling, but as long as i seat the handle squarely on reassembly i don't usually see that. except on one of my 49l's that had the drag star tightened up with a wrench and sealed with red loctite. that one didn't survive disasembly. all in all, i don't have a lot of trouble with them. if you're lucky enough to be getting into big fish, you might want to go with an ss sleeve.

ReelFishingProblems

I have only had grouper and red snapper on my 113Hs, not enough to do damage (size depending) but I have upgraded all but one to SS. The original guts were all used when I got them, I found the fit on the SS sleeve tighter, especially when adding an upgraded handle. Whether or not it's necessary for my applications is to be debated, but the better fit is satisfying.

RowdyW

For me it depends on where & what the reel will be used for. For the beach or pier if the brass has minimal slop I would reuse it or find a good used one in my good used parts supply. Just index the handle in the power direction & make the screw real tight.  If the reel was going to be used for ocean trolling or reef fishing I usually use an ss sleeve. If the reel is going to be upgraded in any way then it will get a ss sleeve first. Brass sleeves have worked for many years. It's really up to what you think is best for you. There is no right or wrong.           Rudy

Wompus Cat

Why Not use  our Fearless Leaders Ingenuous Method  ;D
Here
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

alantani

not very common at all.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Maxed Out

I've used and abused 113h reels for many years and rounded off gear sleeve has not been an issue.

Penn recommends you tighten the handle nut very tight and then tighten to the next notch. The Alan Tani wrench makes it easy to do.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Wompus Cat

Yep on any Reel just keep em tight and no problems and when you do have a messed up one  just use Alan's method to repair it and keep on Reelin!
If a Grass Hopper Carried a Shotgun then the Birds wouldn't MESS with Him

Bill B

Thank you for your input....we can dump a lot of money 💰 into these reels, but why throw away cash when you don't have to.  A $30 ss sleeve can buy a lot of brass sleeves.  Yes SS has its place especially when pushing beyond design capabilities.  Too bad there wasn't a way to do a Failure Analysis with an emphasis on gear sleeves.  (Wouldn't even know where to start). i would be curious to see how many sleeves the parts houses sell in the various sizes.   I know most of the gear selves I replace are on the Jigmaster and smaller reels, but those are the sizes I most work on.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

With the drag all of the way down and tight (lots of folks try to install the crank with the drag star out too far — thus limiting the crank from seating properly and snugly) — tighten the crank nut very snugly — then one more notch, if possible — then install the lock screw.

If this is always done properly — 24 out of 25 times, the sleeve will not round off on brass.

While a SS sleeve, gear set, dogs, yoke, jack, eccentric, 5-7 stack CF's, SS discs, and bridge are all good upgrades — unless I was always pushing the reel way past it's targeted limitations — the only upgrades that I would generally do — would be upgraded drags, aluminum spool, and a CF or delrin under gear washer.

If I was installing a power handle — then it would also get a SS sleeve at that point.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

If you use the rod to pump up the fish you will hardly ever get a rounded off sleeve. The only time I have had to change a brass sleeve to a new one is when the handle nut was loose.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL